Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadband -> DSL

I noticed this when I did a *.PST search - only outlook came up (along with a plethora of others) none being OE.
    They can steal all my property and belongings, curtail all my rights and privileges, incarcerate me, beat me and even kill me. They then, will only have my dead body, NOT my obedience.

As zENGER stated
    Outlook express doesn't use a PST file normally, regular outlook does. What you'd be looking for would be a DBX file if I remember correctly.
    the folders in Outlook Express are in *.dbx format but not by default ... you first need to compact the folders to be able to take a backup of them ...

Take a look at this website for more info regarding backup of Outlook Express.

[Edit] Also check this page for more info on troubleshooting Outlook Express and how to extract eml's from the dbx files.[/Edit]

Gr33tz,

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Oops. My bad. I missed the "express" part.

The directory locations should be similar, however. I can't remember where Outlook Express keeps its stuff, but a search of the Documents and Settings folder for *.DBX files should turn it up.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

AOs Resident Troll
    Just to clarify...

If you are using the same local machine profile on the computer...then all you have to do is change the email settings in IE...I believe you can pop multiple accounts..in OE ( I know you can in Outlook)...so you should be able to pick up mail from both accounts until the old account is cut off.

It is a good thing to backup email once in a while anyway...specially if it is important ...throw in personal photos and docs, etc in as well. Burn it to a cd...and put that disc away. How often you do it ...depends on how valuable the information on the computer is.

Remember...if someone steals the computer...you always get a new one...and restore the data..if you have a backup ...otherwise..its gone
    Have seen lots of harddrive failures...with no backups.

Heres a link on OE

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;188854

HTHs

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

On this WinME box it is:

C:\windows\applications data\identities\99999999999\microsoft\outlook express

Where 999999999 is some gibberish

EDIT: On Win2000Pro:

C:\documents & settings\user profile goes here \local settings\application data.......................................same as above

I would guess the path to be similar in XP

Banned
    Once you configure a new Outlook account for them, they will need to open up the old account if they need any previous emails. You could solve that possibly by copying all the emails from one account to the other. I'm not too familiar with Outlook, though.
    Now you're mixing up things
    What you're talking about is a new profile - he won't need to do that. All he needs to do is add the new account to Outlook (Tools --> Accounts --> Add) - all (old) messages will still be where they were before.

The default store location on XP is Documents and Settings\{user ID}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{class}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I asked a similar question a while ago :
    Got this answer from 'bluthound' [sp]

BACKING UP OE FILES .dbx

it works, well it did for me

make sure that your hidden files and file extensions are viewable.
    You can access those functions from 'Folder Options' in My Computer.
    Leave the My Computer window open....
    Open OE, click Tools, then Options.
    Click the Maintenance tab, then the Store Folder button.
    You should see the path to the location of the stored .dbx files.
    Right-click the path and click Select All.
    Right-click the path again and click Copy.

Go back to My Computer and right-click in the Address bar and click paste.
    Press Enter, which will take you to the location where these files are stored.
    At this point you want to make sure that OE is closed, because backing up these
    files with OE open may result in corrupt back-up files. So go back to OE and click
    Cancel on the Store Folder dialog box, then click Cancel on the Options window.
    Exit OE before proceeding.

Now you can copy the files you need. Don't move/delete them. You can back-up to
    another folder, floppy or cd.

Once you have OE fixed, create a new folder and name it something distinctly different
    than Inbox, Outbox, etc. Do this by right-clicking Local Folder in OE and choose New Folder.
    Follow the above instructions to get to the location again, close OE and copy/move your
    .dbx files into the new folder you created (Drag and drop works). You may want to create several new folders for the various categories. To keep it coherent, you could create an INcopy, OUTcopy, DELcopy, SENTcopy folder. If you copy a back-up folder into a folder that has some .dbx files in it, these will be overwritten, hence the need for new seperate folders.
    You can move e-mails later, once you are in OE.
    By creating a special folder for "bad" e-mails, you can use this technique to lift them onto an isolated box.
    Let me know if this works for you.
    HTH
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone