Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'puter 'ponents

I have to agree with you, Undertaker ..........
    I am becoming skeptical too

I have always been software and internet oriented in my knowledge and expertise and it has only been recently I have pushed to delve into the hardware side of it all - beyond the basic, integral and necessary knowledge accumulated through years of mucking about with things.

Most of that info. was taken from a textbook - of all things

I'v scanned the first page for you and it follows ...............
    They can steal all my property and belongings, curtail all my rights and privileges, incarcerate me, beat me and even kill me. They then, will only have my dead body, NOT my obedience.

Resistance is measured in Ohms, Capacitance in Farads (any know why those names.. now no cheating Google searches are banned..I am watching)
    Because of Ohms law, which isn't really a law, but more a definition of resistane. I think its the guy's name as well. As for Farads, I seem to recall that was the mans name as well...

LOL.. So a Incandecent Light Bulb is a LED... And that 33ohm REsistor I connected across the 240V mains is also a LED?
    Of course it is... That's how LEDs work. They resist the electric current, and cause the air to light up inside the bulb IIRC.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Actually, when electric current enters the diode, the electrons on one side of the diode become excited and move to a higher energy state, absorbing electrical energy. When they move across the diode to the other side, they drop back to a lower energy state. When this happens, they release that energy in the form of a photon, which we interpret as visible light.

So LEDs turn electrical energy directly into light energy, which is why they are so efficient. An incandescent bulb, on the other hand, simply heats the filament to the point where it is so hot that it gives off light, just like metal can be heated to give off light.

Just my 2 cents...
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I started this post to be informative for others.

[irony]
    I have learned more from it than I even imagined I would have been teaching others when I started it
    [/irony]

Thanks all
    They can steal all my property and belongings, curtail all my rights and privileges, incarcerate me, beat me and even kill me. They then, will only have my dead body, NOT my obedience.

Memy

That is more a Kindergarten Basic intro to electronic components, they certainly dont want you knowing too much in that area..

there is big difference between being able to identify a component, knowing how it works, knowing how it is working in the circuit, knowing what component is the most likely suspect when some thing is wrong.. that is the difference between healthy and Sick/dead..
    The diference is what your doing with the circuit..

BTW: here is a site I found in a quick search.. the link is more for the abreviations lists.. It seems mostly OK..
    http://www.twysted-pair.com/abbreviations.htm
    On the home page there.. they talk about a first lesson Download.. I have no idea how good it is.. so be careful if you do d/l it..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Actually its from one of their college level text books ........ That was just the very first page - it gets a bit more involved, I just couldn't be assed to scan any more pages - as you probably couldn't have been assed to read anymore of them.

But like I said hardware has never been my forte - its something I have recently been paying more heed to in my push to know everything

BTW that is a really good site you posted - I will be making good use of it over the next few weeks.

I was tempted to grab a couple of my Text books and scann a few pages for you.. but being lazy.. google.. found a few gems..

Here is one that goes into better detail on many components..
    http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/data/index.php

Give this one to your trainer:
    http://sound.westhost.com/beginners.htm#3_0

it looks bloody beaut mate
    and what I have read.. not to bad.. prolly a bit advanced in some parts..for absolute beginners .. you should be ok..(yell if ya need help)

now I will stop annoying you.. if you want more.. just yell

ciao
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

********** |ceWriterguy
    (any know why those names.. now no cheating Google searches are banned..I am watching)
    Sure even though it's been 15 years now since BEE - Ohm was the cat's name who invented Ohm's Law, the rule which govern's electrical circuits - that being the voltage equals the current times resistance (E=IR). I'm pretty sure he was the one who realized that all lights, motors, and any other load one could put in a circuit was a resistor, and the one who developed a unit of measurement for resistance, which he proudly named Ohms. The really cool thing is that conductivity (used extensively by the boiler technicians of the world) units are measured in Mho's....Ohm backwards. As for our friend Farad, he's who developed the first working dielectric capacitor, and the units with which we measure capacitance. We honor his name my calling those units Farads.

I'm quite surprised you didn't introduce our newbie friend to KVL, but then again judging from his sub b- work posted above, perhaps he's not ready for it yet.

I won't address your transistor issues yet since you're waiting on our newbie, but I'll pretend I made a crude comment about a xener diode here
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Faraday... may have something to do with some of this..

who manages to catch the Faraday Lecture each year on BBC (i think..we just have Absolute Bloody Carelessness ..ABC in OZ).. I have missed the past couple of years.. but it would rate as an excellent resource for high school students.. excellent primer for those interested in any area of electronics, communications, computers..

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Resistance is measured in Ohms, Capacitance in Farads (any know why those names..
    Mr Ohm and Mr Farad ?
    Although the Farad is FAR too large a unit, and is invariably expressed as micro-farads

What are some of the different type of transistor..
    I've got one that will play radio 1

what is the difference between Solid State and Thermionic?
    A thermionic device contains a cathode that emits electrons only when heated.
    A solid state device uses semiconductors to generate electrons and does not use a heater.

A thermionic device requires a vacuum to allow electrons to flow between the electrodes, they are packed in evacuated glass tubes.
    Solid state devices operate at normal air pressures and are packed in plastic.

Solid-state devices are smaller than thermionic devices.

Me is/was electrical engineer, suprised myself how much bumf I still remember
    When I started, solid state was REALLY solid.
    and the memory of throwing old valves [thermionic emitters] into skips, and dodging the flying glass .......... Ahh, those were the STUPIDEST days of my life
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone