Better or best tool for monitoring?

Thread: Better or best tool for monitoring?

Better or best tool for monitoring?

Ola:

Looking to find a better tool for monitoring a wireless network for users and bandwidth used. I am using NetStumbler - yes I have written permission to do so - to find rogue APs, but I was asked to also find users that may be using those APs - and report back who they are.

I'm not even sure that's possible and before I even try, I am already asking for updated written permission to do so, but is it possible to know "who" or what nodes are on a wireless network?

I have seen commercial products, like Tivoli or an IDS, track down some nodes that are wired, but I cannot find anything worth a spit for wireless.

Going back to Google to look, and maybe insecure.org.

Gracias.

Any network sniffer will show you what nodes are on the network. something like ethereal. Or a "network explorer" type program...or a network mapping program. There are TONS of ways to do this. hell, most access points will let you see which nodes are connected.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

As XTC already said... there are quite a few ways to do this.
    One easy way... Kismet.
    http://www.kismetwireless.net/

If you don't already have a linux box... then use a live cd.

My personal favorite this month is Whoppix
    http://www.whoppix.net/

They have a lot of wifi tools... along with footprinting and enumeration toolz.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I thought there might be a slew of tools, however, I was unsure and wanted to make sure - that and being newer to this technology, I wanted to confirm what I was finding from Google. Thanks for the information and responses back. I will forward the recommendations to my manager so I can get approval and get to testing.

Gracias.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Google AirSnare for a nice little "early warning" system....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides