Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardware Incompatibility?

********** |ceWriterguy
    Here's a restated fix for your issue:

1. pick up the hellophone.
    2. call sprint and bitch. the right to do this is why you're paying them for their service. by all means exercise that right, this is their problem.
    3. if/when sprint balks at fixing the issue, ask to speak with their supervisor, repeat step 2.

The big issue with service industries like sprint/aol/etc functioning as ISP's is that they have to make their hardware and software universally compatible. If for whatever reason, their card doesn't work in your laptop, it becomes their responsibility to *make* it work or lose your business, plus the business of everyone you tell about how shoddy their service is. Make them EARN your money!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I don't have another card, and since they run about $150-200, I'm not keen on buying one just on a hunch, especially since this one seems to work in other machines.

I'm getting the Sierra Wireless drivers you mentioned now, though I'm pretty sure they're already installed, it can't hurt. I'll check the Event Log too, hadn't thought of that.

Nihil: I've tried booting to a clean install of WinXP pro, installing the drivers, and then rebooting with the card plugged in, and it freezes on that cute XP splash screen you get on startup.

Hmmm,

That might get us something in the event logs.

Will it boot into safe mode? If it will that suggests a software problem, if not a hardware one.

Try taking the option to create a boot log and have a look at that.

Finally, take the opyion to boot with confirmation (step by step) and wait about 30 seconds between each step (I know, I know ) If that works then it is certainly a software problem.

Good luck

I wasn't expecting you to buy another, I just thought you might know someone else with one we could use test. My thinking being that it would almost certainly be from a different batch, so if it worked I would say your card was out of tolerance, and if it did not I would suspect the laptop. Provided of course that we check out the software options.

Huh. The only event log stuff that's identifiable as related to the card is an Information event in the system events:
    Winport opened COM1 as a client, for connecting to network modems.

This is followed by an error 3 seconds later:
    The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm afraid I have no idea what that stuff means, except that I guess the PCMCIA card is using COM1...which, now that I think about it, was a cause of crashes back in the days before plug-n-play....

The laptop does boot into safe mode fine, but it shows no trace of the card, I think probably because there's not PCMCIA support in safe mode.

Frustrating....you guys are more patient than me!

EDIT: Actually, I just tried safe mode again, and it seems to boot up okay, giving me the GUI and everything, but then it freezes as though I had just inserted the card.

Just a shot in the dark here.. but is there something else on COM1? If so, disable it in BIOS and give it another shot.

AOs Resident Troll
    Just a shot in the dark here.. but is there something else on COM1? If so, disable it in BIOS and give it another shot.
    Good call again zENGER!!!!!

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well, nothing on COM1 as far as I can tell, but with modern BIOSes and WinXP, it's kind of hard to tell.
    |3lack|ce will be happy to know I finally decided to exert my consumer muscle and subscribe to a competing service, Verizon. Which, incidentally, provides the same service for the same cost, with better coverage, broadband speed, and (hopefully) stable client hardware.
    I'll probably still noodle around with the Sprint card, since it's already been purchased, but I'm not too worried about it. I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.
    Thanks everyone for your help!

Just as a followup, the Verizon card I got is giving me ridiculous hassles as well, so I think it can be stated for the record that Toshiba laptops (at least the P35) are unable to handle wireless modems, and according to another IT expert, many communications cards in general.
    So be warned.

I think it is time to give Toshiba some grief? you should at least get your money back or a model that does work.

Good luck