Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding an IP?

Question Finding an IP?

What software product can I use to scan a wireless or wired network device in order to get it's unknown IP address. Basically I'm looking for a product that can pull not only the MAC but find/request (or beat) the applicable IP from an unknown IP addressed device.

Follow me on this:

a) There is no access to the web to download the manufacturers manual prior to or during the work. (and probably wouldn't be if the device is a gazillion years old)
    b) There is no one that I can call to have them look on the web while I'm working.
    c) There is no access to the web based configuration since I don't have the IP.
    d) The client has no product manual available.
    e) SNMP scans are powerless.
    f) Factory resetting the device isn't an option since I still don't know the default IP and a normal scan of standard configurations don't work. (depends on the item in question, of course).
    g) The device is not responding to manual IP subnet scans of the usual IP configurations normally seen in a network.
    h) Banging the object against a desk only works partially.. :-)
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Normally I use a variety of methods and tools to get what I'm needing, but in some occasions they just leave me hanging.

Oh... and I'm still looking for that magical software that allows me to be on, say 192.168.2.x and scan for IP's on any OTHER unknown subnet without forcing me to change my IP configuration.
    (no VPN's are included in this scenario, as they DO allow that kind of behaviour)

Thanks.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Don't know if this would help or not. . . but I use GFI LanGuard Network Scanner May be of some help. Hope so.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

how sure are you that the item has an actual IP address...some network equipment has no IP (like modems, they dont have an IP usually, but the computer attached does)
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    try to use numerous "stealth scans" aviable in nmap ... (xmas, fin, etc...)

Exclamation

Thanks for the responses so far, (no solutions yet)

Languard is a security scanner (meant to be use for revealing internal security risks, not an IP interrogator.) It doesn't have the capability. Thanks though!

XTC46, yes the items in question would have an IP. (for sure).

Unhappy, Nmap stealth scans are meant to find the presence of devices WITHOUT causing a full TCP handshake, thereby not disturbing possible watching IDS/Firewall device/software.
    Unless a newer Nmap has the features I'm looking for. Guess I will have to download it again to find out. Last time I installed Nmap, I found my windows based scanning software suite had the same features, so I dumped Nmap.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Well. . . LanGuard has many other "uses" other than just looking for security holes. But . . . ok. Hope ya find something that helps.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

AOs Resident Troll
    I have a older version of LAN GUARD it it shows, machine name, MAC address, IP address, protocols installed, etc ....and security issues.

I find it handy when documenting networks...etc

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

And if someone is currently logged into a network you scan it will aslo list their login name. lol

Can you take the device off of its current network segment? Place it on a hub with only your sniffer attached to it. Then just wait for some type of traffic or broadcast? Then you can get ip or mac? Possibly more info?

I'm assuming that you have physical access to it because you say banging it on a desk....

Maybe just plug that device into a hub then back to the switch.
    Then you can watch all traffic going to that device. That will surely show you IP and MAC.

You can use ettercap to scan the subnet using arp. Then that box should reply with its IP address... But... if you don't know WHICH subnet... then you're SOL. Which is what you want. So.. that won't work.

I think putting a hub between that and other hosts and sniffing the traffic would be the best way.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Have you seen this:
    AirSnare
    http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

Sorry only MAC info..

TCPNet View is not too bad --
    http://gorlach.etype.net/netview/index-e.html