Thread: multiple file search

multiple file search

I am trying to find a utility (for windows OS) that I can do a search for more than one file at a time. I am not refering to looking for the same file in 10X directories, I am talking about looking for 10+ files in one search rather than having to run the search 10+ times.

I am looking thru some google searches but I have not found what I am looking for. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks

~Halv

AOs Resident Troll
    XP Start>Search>change prefences>all files and folders?? >all drives
    2000 Start>Search>change prefences>all drives??

Personally...I get rid of the animation in XP.....

Is that what you are asking???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Do you mean files or file types?
    Like looking for txt and doc files at the same time? I couldn't understant you are you looking for.

You can use Google Desktop Search .. it is such a cool utiltiy ...

http://desktop.google.com/about.html
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

I think he wants to be able to search for "file1", "file2", ... , "filex" all with 1 search, instead of having to do x number of searches. I don't really see a reason to do all of them at once in a normal operating environment. It would in fact be faster if you were continuously doing searches as it would only need 1 pass through the file system to find these files, but if you aren't doing this repetitively, I don't see a point.

The "advanced" search facility in Microsoft Outlook will let you build a list of files to search for. Obviously you need MS office of some sort to get this.

I have taken over someone else's job responsiblities. One of those tasks is to give another party many files that they post on our website. This person has given the third party about 1000+ of these images. We currently have 4000+ images that I need to process. I want to weed out what the third party has.

I have a list of what the third party has.

zENGER has an idea of what I am trying to do. I will try what you suggest nihil.

thanks much for your input.

~Halv

I think theres bound to be an easier solution to your problem. This is just an idea I have, and it might not be applicable depending on your situation. You say there are 4000 images and you have a list of 1000 that you don't want to be in your list? Why not copy the 4000 to a directory, and delete the 1000 by using the list as the input for the delete command? I'm not sure if this what you're trying to do or if this can be adapted to what you are trying to do, but maybe it will be enough of a brainstorm to aid you.

That is what I want to do zEN, but I'd like a way to do a search once or at least not have to search for each file or scan down a list manually. I'd like to copy/paste this list into a search program and have it tell me which files it has found so that I may delete or move those files.

http://www.fxsearch.com/ldw_eng/

this will do what I am looking for, except I have to copy/paste each file for it to search for, then it will search for all the files. I'd like a way to copy/paste multiple files to search for rather than 1 at a time.

thanks again.. the search continues..

My opinion is the best way to do this is with a shell script, using the list of search files as input. I don't know of any program that does this for you, but maybe someone else does.

OK, thanks to zENGER's suggestion, I remembered back to my old dos days....

and I made a batch file that will find all the files and delete them. Crude but efficient.

thanks much

~Halv