Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Comp is tooo slow

My Comp is tooo slow

I am a newbie...over past few days i have noticed that my comp is really very slow at startup....it also takes minutes to start an application

i have deleted a few new programs i had downloaded frm the net

also their is a problem with my antivirus....it doesn't get updated....i use norton antivirus 2003....

plz help me and tell me frm where i can download a gud antivirus

AOs Resident Troll
    More info will be useful...such as OS, and hardware/?

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

go to start -> run-> msconfig and see what starts up when you turn on your PC...do a malware scan (Ad-aware, Spybot....) do a virus scan via Trend Micro Housecall

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

and for an AV i reccomend AVG http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 serves me well....

i think he's running windows sine there is no version of NAV for linux ? right ?
    O.G at A.O

Old Fart
    If none of the above works....

Open your device manager and look at the properties of your primary IDE channel (advanced tab). Make sure it is set to "use dma if available" and not "PIO". If you cannot get it to accept this setting uninstall the primary IDE channel and restart your machine. The channel will reinstall and default to the DMA setting, then prompt you to restart again. Problem solved.....I hope.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

AOs Resident Troll
    i think he's running windows sine there is no version of NAV for linux ? right ?
    Wouldnt know

maybe hes running xp on a machine with no memory...or very little...old cpu??

Do as ©opy®ight has suggessted...and run an online scan.

If you are using 2000\xp get the ms beta antispyware...make sure you have all you patches from Windows update.....

Sounds like you got malware.......

i have deleted a few new programs i had downloaded frm the net
    MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

"IF" you are running XP. . . download these 2 programs. . . they may help some.

SpeedXP

RegScrubXP
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

maybe hes running xp on a machine with no memory...or very little...old cpu??
    Well he said it only happened i the last few days so i wouldn't say its that, most likely some malware snkeaed its way inside.
    O.G at A.O

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Just as a starter to help give you / us a level playing field :
    clean your PC here

For AV, Grisoft AVG works for me.
    Norton 2003 won't update ? probably because you haven't paid for the service .........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Old Fart
    I just hope that quest_mania is considerate enough to let us know the results of our efforts. I hate it when someone signs up, asks a question and the disappears when they get what they needed from us.

/me feels so USED....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

**** I forgot this thread.. seems our mate is lost.. 2 more threads on the same problem..

You have a problem.. DONT BE A SHOT GUN.. Just create one thread for your problem....

So do you want answers here on in the other thread?

BTW: Do a search on the symantec - Security response site.. look for Agobot or Gaobot..
    and the message the AV scan gave you would have given you a version number ie gaobot.ag or sim.. You need that to correctly remove..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr