AntiOnline Spring '05 Giveaway - Quick Tip Posting Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AntiOnline Spring '05 Giveaway - Quick Tip Posting Thread

AntiOnline Spring '05 Giveaway - Quick Tip Posting Thread

UPDATE: This part of the giveaway is over! Check back for the voting stage!

Important: Visit this Site-Wide Announcement for rules and directions.

After you have submitted your Quick Tip, post it here. Off-topic posts will be deleted. Good luck!
    Share on Google+

Editing /etc/securetty and only allowing /dev/tty1 makes it very hard for someone to breka into your *NIX box. This tells the OS you ONLY want root to be able to log in from the first console. It's not fool proof but it adds another step to the process known as security.
    Share on Google+

No security is worse than false security.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!
    Share on Google+

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Never make passwords so complicated that users will be tempted to write them down. Use alpha and special characters but in such a way that the password looks like a regular word and can be remembered easily.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden
    Share on Google+

It would be nice if people here weren't so jumpy sometimes. In one of my classes me and another teacher who was taking the same class, we used to turn tests into a competition. On the essays it was fun.

we would play a gae with each other on who could write the best essays. I remember ONE question I answered, just ONE was 20 pages long. I went into detail like a mofo. It was nothing more than a friendly competition for us, and it made it fun and we worked harder and did better as a result.

We could do the sme here and see who can come up with the best qucik tips wich would be a lot of fun, but I'm sure some people here would get all personal about it.

Anyway, I'll think up some more and post them and see if I can get Horsey and Jehn in on this for a little fun.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Never make passwords so complicated that users will be tempted to write them down. Use alpha and special characters but in such a way that the password looks like a regular word and can be remembered easily.
    I'm quoting this one because mine plays off it:

Making an actual good password easy to remember can be very hard. A way I've been using for a long time is by making sentences or phrases, into a password. For example: I love the Misfits, and I really like the songs they make. Well I could take lyrics from them like "Mommy can I go out and Kill tonight?" and add 1977 which is the year they released the first album, and even names of band members. Mommy can I go out and Kill tonight by the misfits 1977 would be a great password by taking just the first or last letter of each word and making it into a password which would be"mcIgoakt?1" Now that is a password! And you can remember it easily by listening to the song and remembering which year they released their first album.
    Share on Google+

A little competition is healthy Though things will be kept professional, no personal attacks sniping, etc.

Also, folks have been skipping Step 1:

1. Submit a Quick Tip

Visit the AntiOnline Homepage, scroll down to the Quick Tip box on the right, and click "Add".

Quick Tips must be concise but informative by nature and are strictly related to computer and network security. Visit the archive to ensure that your tip hasn't already been covered. Off-topic tips won't be considered.
    Be sure to submit your Quick Tips in both places!
    Share on Google+

I've submitted all of mine in the sumbit a quick tip pop up first then copied it here ot the thread
    Share on Google+

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, here's the tip - it's probably already in there, but after recovering from the Trend Micro thing over the weekend, it holds new meaning:

Always back up everything in case of catastrophe. Do this often because you never know what will fail.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!
    Share on Google+

Those "I know" shirts are hillarious.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.
    Share on Google+