Thread: About wireless interference

About wireless interference

I have a wireless network set up and the problem is the computer with the card will develop signall loss where it says connection is excelent but yet it says "little or no connectivity" This only happens if she does not use the internet for a while and then goes to use it after maybe playing a game for two hours. As soon as she restarts the strength is back to normal.

I have a wireless mouse on the computer that is connected to the router, and I am woundering if this could be causeing the problem, as I have moved both the router and the base unit for the mouse to difernt locations. I also changed the channel of the router from 6 to 7 and the channel of the mouse from 1 to 2. Should I swap mouses so that I give the wireless mouse to my mother, the computer that has the wireless card.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Does she talk on the wireless phone when she leaves the computer... They can interfere.. Change the channel on the router again to something far from 6 and 7and see what happens.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Standard wireless keyboards/mooses run on at 27 MHZ. Not anywhere near the frequency of a 2.4 Ghz wireless card. Tiger pointed out that a lot of phones operate in the 2.4 Ghz range so look there. Oh - assuming your keyboard or mouse is blue tooth, guess what it operates at? 2.4 Ghz so you have some options. Wireless mouse is cool, so I would work on keeping it, although you can remove it to see if the problem persists or goes away. Might just be a crappy card or some other device anomaly
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

thanks, we dont have a cordless or wireless phone but since we live in an apartment complex I suspect that somebody below us or next door might be. Ill try cangeing the channel again to something not so close to 6 as you sugested and see if that makes a difernce. Well im glad my mouse is not blutooth then, I finaly located the papers that came with it and it is just like you said 27MHz. We moved it to her room anyway, and will see if the change in channel and relocated mouse makes a difernce.

As a side note I was very fusterated this mourning and came acoss something that indicates it might have something to do with SP2 that mom has, it was installed by default when she purchased the computer. I cam across this patch and applyed it

http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

I noticed something imediatly, after a reboot the network was connected instantly and did not indicate that it was connecting. Before the patch, after a reboot it would indicate it was connecting for a long time, but she would still be able to access the net. So I dont know but with the three changes I am hopeing this makes the difernce and the problem disapears, cross my fingers.
    \"I think Adid just had a heart attack, I tryed to revive him but it was too late!\" - Delta Force Black Hawk Down

Gerr, well after changeing the router to channel 11, changeing the mouse to channel 2, moveing the mouse to moms room, and applying the patch KB884020, I just checked and its back to limmited or no connectivity, the exact message I get as follows:

Limited or no connectivity

You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.
    Very fusterating