Thread: wierd connection on my site

wierd connection on my site

i host a little site with a message board off of my home computer and just now at about 12:30 pm, a strange ip got on and the administrator message board history showed it as clicking all of the links: faq, private messages, etc. it didnt have a login name tho so i dunno what was going on. a whois showed that the ip was registered to a company called cyveillance and they apparently scan the net for illegal activity or something: http://www.cyveillance.com . does this mean anything or does everybody get scanned? i dont think there's anything illegal about my site

Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

It looks to me like they scan the net, much in the same way that search spiders do, for information given to them by a client.

So for example Microsoft pays them to find anyone offering their products for free. So they scan download links for Microsoft products and report back to MS when they find anything. I would imagine that the scanning pattern is entirely random.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

yeah, i was worried i was being singled out for no apparent reason. i think im gonna block the ip they connected with, hopefully they dont have a bunch of really random ip's that they use to scan. is there like a list out there of ip's that i should block cuz they do stupid crap like this?

Just Another Geek
    It depends on your definition of stupid crap. I for one don't mind MS scanning my site (or ordering one). There's nothing illegal (like warez etc) so I have nothing to worry about. My site is public, if I didn't want people to see my information I wouldn't put it up on a public place like the Internet.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice

i host a little site with a message board off of my home computer
    Depending on circumstances there might be bandwidth and resource issues? I have seen some of these bots spidering this site and they can be rather badly written.

Just Another Geek
    My site runs on my home network too But then again I do have 1Mbit upstream
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.