Thread: File system error

File system error

I've searched Google and AO and a few other sites including support.microsoft.com with no luck. Has anyone ever seen this:

Computer:
    Dell Laptop
    Pent M 1400MHz
    1 GB Ram
    80 BG Drive
    XP Pro SP2 current updates
    Office Scan - Updated No Virus (HouseCall No Virus)
    Search and destroy and MS Antispyware say no spyware
    HijackThis shows OK

From any pc on the network user can access and create new folders on specific network drive.
    From his laptop user can access but NOT create new folder on said drive. (Permissions are correct)

When trying to create a new folder the following error is displayed:

Unable to create folder
    File system error (16389)

When I check permissions via explorer on the laptop, properties show read only (This is not true)
    Server permissions and share set to modify.

This issue can only be replicated on said laptop.

I'm stumped - ideas?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

What type of network? Domain/Workgroup? What OS is the system with the share running?

NT 4 Domain and the file server is NT 4 all sp 6.a

My first feeling is that you might have the off-line syncronization turned on, on the laptop. This would allow you to view the files while disconnected from the network, but I believe will disallow you to add/modify it. I'm on a 2k machine right now so I can't check for the exact method of turning this feature on and off, but I believe under folder options in explorer there is a tab associated with this.

Arrggggg!

User took his laptop! Didn't tell me. B******* about this for three days and didn't even ask if the thing was fixed.

I'm just a little steamed!

Anyway, I'm 99% Sure that sync is not enabled. Strange thing is - from that laptop he can access any file or subfolder within the folder he's having issues with.

Yeah, I've thought the sync was off before and it magically turned itself on. Then the user gets disconnected from the network and it falls into offline mode, and when you reconnect it doesn't go back to online mode. Its a major pain.

I would think it was a permissions problem myself but if he can use his account somewhere else, and is on an NT4 domain, I don't see how this could be possible. This is unless he's accessing the share differently, such as a share being nested in another share and he's accessing it from two different points on the different computers. Just an idea, hope it helps.

Thanks for the insight. I know what you mean about the sync turning itself on. I've seen that one before. I'll let you know.

Hmmm,

Sorry if this is stupid, but it is a while since I booted NT4. Can the user create folders on his local drive?

I sort of have this suspicion that his roaming profile and his locally stored copy have diverged?

Maybe delete his local profile, get him to log on with the roaming profile then log out and shut down, when he re-boots they should be in synch. I don't see why he would be booting with the local profile though

Nihil:

He can create files & folders on local PC and file server except in one network folder named prospects. What's strange is that the files in prospects he can modify. The sub folders in Prospects he can add, modify both files and folders. He only has issues with adding folders in the root of prospects.