Thread: FreeBSD 5.4 Stable?

Just Another Geek

FreeBSD 5.4 Stable?

Hmm. I noticed this last week...

I cvsup RELENG_5, did the make world, reboot and....

sirdice@snort:~>uname -a
    FreeBSD snort.mydomain.home 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #1: Tue Apr 26 22:22:41 CEST 2005 root@snort.mydomain.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

5.4-STABLE? No mention of it on the site. Last I heard 5.4 was still a release candidate. But I'm used to seeing 5.4RC3 or something like it. But it clearly shows 5.4-STABLE

The downloadable ISOs are 5.4RC3...

Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Doesn't make World upgrade everything to the closest stable release that's new though? It may have gone stable but only not been announced yet.... Hard to say, the Free BSD guys might be dropping acid lol. In all seriousness I can check with them if you want.

RELENG_5_4 is what you want. RTFM http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...le.html#STABLE . Stable doesn't mean "stable", stable=stable branch not stable release.

norah#cat /root/sourcesup
    # $FreeBSD: src/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile,v 1.27 2003/09/18 08:19:39 eivind Exp $

*default host=cvsup12.FreeBSD.org
    *default base=/usr
    *default prefix=/usr
    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_4
    *default delete use-rel-suffix

*default compress

src-all
    norah#uname -a
    FreeBSD norah 5.4-RC3 FreeBSD 5.4-RC3 #0: Thu Apr 21 21:18:52 PDT 2005 bt@norah:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NORAH i386

ps. make world has nothing to do with updating your source
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Just Another Geek
    Having tracked RELENG_4 and before that RELENG_3 I know RELENG_5 is not the same as RELENG_5_4
    RELENG_5 will add new features when available where as RELENG_5_4 will only recieve security/stability patches
    5_4 will end up showing as 5.4-RELEASE -> 5.4-RELEASE-p1 -> 5.4-RELEASE-p2 etc..

But I'm used to seeing i.e. 4.8-STABLE -> 4.9-PRERELEASE -> 4.9-RC1 -> RC2 etc.. until it says 4.9-STABLE for a while.. And I just noticed my RELENG_5 source 'jumping' from 5.4-RC1 to 5.4-STABLE after a new kernel&world build

I definitely would use RELENG_5_4 on production systems. My home network runs on RELENG_5 because I do want new features (if available) but I don't want to end up with an unbuildable/unstable world by tracking -CURRENT. I'm not that BSD savvy to solve those problems
    Oliver's Law:

I highly recommend you buy two books:

The complete Free BSD, and Free BSD Unleashed.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I highly recommend that you change your OS to Windows XP.

Each release has been stable.

I hate working on an OS that "wobbles"....

/Ducking, weaving and generally avoiding the flak that will come from that stupid comment I just made..... But I had to make it.... 'Cos it was sooooo easy....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just Another Geek
    TS: You can compare -CURRENT with Longhorn. That's also a bit "wobbly". It also contains new and exiting features that get removed because they're not finished/stable/secure enough for inclusion into the new release
    Oliver's Law:

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by gore
    I highly recommend you buy two books:

The complete Free BSD, and Free BSD Unleashed.
    I have an older version of The Complete FreeBSD (it came with my 4.6).
    I know both books. Unfortunately there's nothing in there that I didn't know about..

I do recommend "BSD Hacks". It contains lots of cool tips 'n tricks..
    Oliver's Law:

A teacher at my college got a BSD in business book for using BSD in business. and said he would give me that when he had a chance to read it. There are a low of BSD books that are good but my top two remain Complete and Unleashed.

Just Another Geek
    I agree. Lots of books at the bookstore about linux. Not alot about any of the BSD's. And the books I looked at all seem to have the same basic information. I can find most of that in the (online) handbook or through Google.
    Luckily most of the tricks for any of the BSD's are interchangeble with another BSD. There seem to be only subtle (operational) differences. The only real differences apear the be "under the hood".
    Oliver's Law: