Thread: Corrupted File Doesn't Exist?!

Question Corrupted File Doesn't Exist?!

Ok, I'm baffled at the moment.

Gotta back up server that's using SecondCopy to backup files from a mapped drive on another server. For the past few days, this error keeps coming up during backup:

The file or diretory %root%:/.../~SCTEMP.TMP is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
    So I ran chckdisk /F on it. No errors found, everything checks out. So I go the folder the error specified, and there is NO sctemp file in there anywhere, period. Nonetheless, come back in the next day, and there's the same error staring at me. Not only that, but if I hit "OK", the error just pops back up again, and will do so over and over and over and over, so the only way I can get rid if it is to log off the friggin' server!

Any ideas?

A thought:

http://www.secondcopy.de/secondcopy/...l#KI_SCTEMPTMP]

Unable to create SCTEMP.TMP file error
    Second Copy copies source files to a temporary file and then renames them to the destination file name. This ensures that if the system crashes during the copy, the old version of the destination file does not get corrupted. You can bypass this behavior if some software does not properly support renaming of files.
    Go to Edit | Options and click OK.
    Exit Second Copy by right clicking on the icon and selecting Exit.
    Open the sc97.cfg file (this is a hidden file in the Second Copy 97 folder) in Notepad.
    Find the [Options] section and add the following line to it:
    DoNotUseTempFile=1
    Save the file.
    Start Second Copy again from the start menu.
    Maybe bypassing the creation of that file would allow you to backup your files?

Also, with what permissions is the backup running under?

What version of Second Copy are you using? (I see 97 and 2000 on their website)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Go to Edit | Options and click OK.
    What's the purpose of this step? That doesn't actually do anything, that just opens the options window then closes it again.

Open the sc97.cfg
    I've got Windows Explorer set to show hidden files, and this one's not there in the SecondCopy folder.

Also, with what permissions is the backup running under?
    That would be admin.

What version of Second Copy are you using?

Thanks!

This might of only been a problem with the 97 version then. No config files? Is there anything under the options (Under the Edit | Options) that might pertain to the programs use of a temp file?

I just copied their instructions off their website...
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Yeah, I just checked out the website. That #1 is a wierd suggestion. "Open options and press OK." Someone needs to get a new job evidently.

Nothing there pertaining to temp files, already looked through it...and the site doesn't say a word about it for 2000 like it did for 97. I just zinged an e-mail to tech support, so hopefully they can tell me something.

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    Yeah, I just checked out the website. That #1 is a wierd suggestion. "Open options and press OK." Someone needs to get a new job evidently.

Nothing there pertaining to temp files, already looked through it...and the site doesn't say a word about it for 2000 like it did for 97. I just zinged an e-mail to tech support, so hopefully they can tell me something.
    Angelic: I did find that on their German website (note the .de in the address) so it might of been a translation issue. (Forgot a step)

Regal Making Handler
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by jinxy
    Have a look here:

http://www.secondcopy.de/secondcopy/issues97.html
    Jinxy: Thats the same page I pointed him to.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Thinking laterally.....

Try creating a dummy file of the same name in the folder.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides