Too funny.... laughable.... Really
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too funny.... laughable.... Really

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Too funny.... laughable.... Really

City Council member Kurt Hack gave a detailed presentation to the public saying that Oakland County is looking to become a sort of "technological Mecca". He also said he feels that it is important that Clawson is one of the first cities on board with the project.
    The antennas used for this service will be about the length of a water bottle , Hack said, will be installed and operated by private vendors in return for advertisment, which is where the incentive for the county is.
    Retyped from The Royal Oak Review 4/27/05

Firstly... Who is going to go with a guy called Hack when wireless is so insecure? Secondly, if they mess with my _paid_ for wireless connection, (DoS applies), I will take them to court. Lastly, the comment about "private vendors in return for advertisment" means additional pop-ups???

I'm already calling lawyers.... and I hate them too.....

This is more BS perpetrated by sales slime on ignorant government....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Go Tiger! Go!

This is more BS perpetrated by sales slime on ignorant government....
    So you thought that by leaving the UK you would get away from all that????

I think you should spoof an "official" e-mail to Mr Hack, telling him that his job has been outsourced

I think you should spoof an "official" e-mail to Mr Hack, telling him that his job has been outsourced
    And one from his wife.. same story.. just out sourced to a Japanese gardener.. Smaller, faster, cheaper to run and is just as easy to understand..

ahh marketing spin.. dont ya just love it..

ya know I used to hate salesmen..now I are one..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Tiger why don't you sit down, relax and have a bowl of nice nummy Frosted Flakes? They're GRRREEEEEAT!

Be a nice change from your normal bowl of frosted bitch flakes.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Gore:

What pisses me off is that I want to know how they intend to implement this without disaffecting the thousands of users who have paid for their own equipment. This signal will almost certainly be on the default channel, (6), and will be unsecured for obvious reasons. What about people who had someone come and secure their system? Will they know if their wireless card suddenly starts connecting them to the insecure system?

There's just so many holes in this scenario.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

/slightly off topic

This concept for the city of Clawson is not new, here is a link to information on a major IT project for the city of Ennis, County Clare, Ireland:

http://www.eiat.ie/technology.php

It was a few years back, and at the time was the largest in the World (now there's a challenge to you guys from Ennis, Texas )

This was not a sleaze project though, and had central government support. Apparently it was a great success.

On the local front of Bridlington (pop. 30,000), there have been proposals to provide a wifi loop throughout the town. This would be done by a private organisation that does wifi networks for businesses.

As far as I can gather, this would be a "pay for" service but anyone hosting one of the "beer bottles" ("water bottles"...........jeez! Hack can't even hack it..........who voted for him?.......... ) would get free connection and service.

As far as I can see, the only advertising would be the existence of the service, which would provide a potential customer base for the service company.

They are already doing this in a small way by providing a free hotspot at the local railway station.

I think that these two examples represent a better way of going about it, although the local one is in its early stages and there has been no mention of security considerations.

Must be something in the water. Mayor of Grand Rapids just announced that GR should be wireless by the end of the year. The city just started looking at wireless access at the beginning of the year. Talk about a bridge between secure and unsecure. There are so many scenarios I wouldn't know where to start.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Here is the issue: they have as much right the technology as we do, even if we operate a private pay for service entity. If they use approved equipment within the limits set by the FCC for the standard then there is nothing lawyers can do. In fact the onus of interference when 2 parties are involved and both are operating legally is on the guy GETTING the interference. This is old case law and will not change. (never say never) The standard allocation is open like FRS (family radio service) or CB (citizens band radio). Itís unfortunate if one uses the public band for private communications, since it is a PUBIC standard and there is no differential between private and commercial use. If cities get to the point where popup adds are delivered based on your location to a WAP then perhaps there is a slim chance the FDIC will step in and stop that but I doubt they will shut down those operating within the limits imposed by the standard. So I would focus on another option; somehow forcing compliance to your own secure network on clients or switching standards. If anything the FCC will rule in favor of public open networks versus the ranting of a corporation or person complaining their clients are connecting to the wrong network.

Interfering with a paid for wireless connection on a public band is not DOS. Hate to break it too you.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Exclamation

Kurt Hack's vision (from his website which hasn't been updated for 1 1/2 years)
    CLAWNET:

I propose the investigation of Clawson becoming a wireless internet service provider (WISP).

This involves the selling of internet services to Clawson residents at a reasonable and competitive cost and provide profit for the city at the same time.

The main startup costs are that of antenna infrastructure, which the city already owns. We have an antenna tower at the current city building and own properties around the city that can be used for signal transmission.

The antennas used are small and not noticeable to residents. The transmission power is also negligible and doesn't even require FCC approval. The return on investment, given the small startup costs, should be within twelve to eighteen months.
    Comments:
    So the mixing of city government with a computer related business endeavor is going to work?
    Hmm ..maybe he's smarter than I give him credit for (Uhh....no)

Main startup costs are the antennas??
    He needs more than antennas.
    He needs multiple expensive transceivers (transmitter and receiver combined).
    He needs multiple reliable power and surge/lightning protection.
    He needs multiple high speed Internet backbone entry points for bandwidth.
    He needs a management center staffed with an engineer or two and customer support staff.
    He needs an advertising venue.
    He needs yet another programming change to the existing billing structure to send service bills out and to account for credit for outages.
    He needs......(add your own comments).

If the power is negligible, then so will the service be. I'm sure the 10 houses surrounding the weak signal are going to just jump on the chance to join.

Not to mention, if anyone is going to provide wireless internet across a city, it would be the already existing phone carriers, Verizon, Cingular (Sprint), etc.

There is never going to be a return on investment on this cockamamie scheme. Never.

Note his full time job is some kind of programmer, visual basic probably.

My bad, I'm all mixed up, the above information is all wrong. Sorry guys.
    Guess he can cover and manage the 2.2 square miles with a couple Linksys WRT54G's transmitting thru his bedroom window and a simple Excel spreadsheet. Geez...what was I thinking. Hope he lives on the 2nd floor.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

This doesn't sound good, many a small WISP would be impacted by this not to mention individual businesses using fixed wireless instead of land lines. I wonder would these cities even bother notifying those who'd be impacted by their dumb decisions? Government and technology don't mix IMHO, they have no clue how to properly implement it at all.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson