Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Too funny.... laughable.... Really

Originally posted here by kurthack
    Thanks for the links. However, running a physical connection to each household is not financially feasable.
    Yea right, you could pay for an OC-256 to my house, quit being so cheap.

OC-256? gore, that would bankrupt a city, maybe even a state government. what is that, quick head math, about 6000 - 7000 T1s? Or more?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Little over 13 GB per second. Soooo, a T1 is 1.544 MBs... Heh a lot of T1s.

He he, I did the math at 10 Gbps, so more like 7000 and beyond...or so. Some nationwide ISPs don't pull that much.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The title of this thread was prophetically correct.......

Mr. Hack is selling a "sieve" to promote Workforce Development to teach people who have not demanded high speed internet connections, (rural in Oakland County.. there ain't much "rural" in Oakland Country folks...), or private industry would have provided it so they can learn all the bad habits the rest of the internet users practice which makes them useless to business.

Kurt: A thought.....

All those people who _want_ internet access where it is available have it already. If they don't have it it is because they can't afford the hardware _or_ they simply don't want it..... Those who want it but can't have it live in these areas you call "rural".

Wouldn't it be cheaper, more easily managed and safer for the Oakland County community as a whole to _only_ implement your wireless network in those areas that are currently _not_ served by the existing infrastructure or would that compromise your "trendying up" of Oakland County?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Tiger, South East Michigan is about as Trendy as Genital Warts and you know it.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Hey.... Leave my warts alone.... The gals love them.... Then again, at my age most of the "gals" can't see them...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I never stated that the users fully understood the risks involved. Just as many do not understand the risks involved with using their existing cable connections, or opening attachments, etc. Yet, these users are still using these services and enjoying their benefits. As the technology improves, as does the security of said services.
    Two things to note here. One, I was under the impression that one of the main reasons government exists is to protect people from themselves and each other: i.e. to help prevent them from doing stupid things and having other’s stupid acts affecting them, not encourage them.
    Examples: Driver’s license required to operate motor vehicles on the street, laws that prohibit shooting guns off in the center of town. I’m not trying to equate these exactly with computers, but rather the idea that quite a number of people would enjoy doing it, they could benefit from it ( especially if their ex happened across their sights ). These things all happened in the past, but society eventually found it better to restrict such actions to protect society in general.

Second, the technology may improve, and already has, but how long will it take? What will be the worth of your wi-fi when it does? How much of this equipment ( antennas, waps, etc. ) will have to be replaced to accommodate the changes, and at what additional costs?

the utility poles are not owned by the city and are not a public resource. They are owned by private industry and pay taxes on their valuations. Thus, government bodies can not simply start stringing up fiber utilizing another body's assets.
    Where are the utility poles located? On the town’s right-of-way or on property owned by the utility companies? And what about, where feasible, including underground lines with new projects, such as sewer line replacements, etc.?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

What would the "risk" be if lets say: You're in New York, and you find your (M)IC surrounded by a bunch of insecure WAPS?