Acting up: Computers in Hollywood
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acting up: Computers in Hollywood

Acting up: Computers in Hollywood

1) Word processors never display a cursor.

2) All monitors diaplay inch-high letters,

3) High-tech computers such as those used by NASA, the CIA or some such government institutions will have easy-to-understand graphical interface.

4) You can infect a computer with a destructive virus by simply typing 'UPLOAD VIRUS'.

5) A hacker can get into most sensitive computer in the world before intermission and guess secret password in just two tries.

6) Any 'permission denied' has an 'OVERRIDE' function.

7) Complex calculations and loading of huge amount of data will be accomplished in under 3 seconds. Movie modems usully appear to transmit data at speed of 2GBPS.

8) If you display a file on screen and someone deletes the file, it also disappers from the screen.

9) No matter wut kind of computer diskk it is, it'll be readable by any system you put it into.

10) Laptops, for some strange reasons, always seem to have amazing real-time video phone capabilities and the performance of a CRAY-Supercomputer.

11) and we can never know what OS they are running.

anything I missed out? Post 'em here.

Cheers!!
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

the user can type at 3000 words per minute

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it's called literary license. People say the same thing about C.S.I. Try watching that with a detective. Thier constant complaints about how "unrealistic" it really detract from watching it.

Get over it folks, I know it's all faked, trumped up drama. Do you really want to sit there and watch Joe Hacker spend 3 hours brute forcing a password. Do you want to watch the user actually open the FTP client and go through all the steps of uploading something? Can we say boring?

If television actually reflected reality, nobody would watch it. We watch television to escape reality.

But that doesn't mean we can't sit back and laugh at the way some things are portrayed. We did it with Hackers, detectives to it with C.S.I., and doctors do it with ER.

One thing that does irk me though... morse code is *not* a 300 words a minute deal. You cannot morse something as fast as the guy beside you can say it. But still, I don't want to sit and watch the 10 minutes it would take to write outthe whole message.

I would rather watch interesting telivision than realistic television.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

have you got a sense of humour or do you just "rain on everyones parade?"

********** |ceWriterguy
    He rains on everyone's parade when it's appropriate, as do I... oh, I agree with him too.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

the computer they are running NEVER crashes

and how about when they give ip ranges like 2.394.6 what is that
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Dead Man Walking
    The oddball IP range is for the same reason that all hollywood phone numbers have the 555 prefix. If they used a realistic IP then there are enough poor ID10T's that would try pinging it and scaning it etc etc basicly causeing a DOS scenario. remember all the trouble tommy twotone got into over the song jenny? better known as 867-5309?

Matrix Reloaded, Trinity uses nmap :P

Also, i agree, and i like this post, but its the same for electronics, I was watching Resident Evil, and scene they use a device to brute force a door (laser place, black guy dies). I said to him "that is so un realistic" he replied with something ill never forget, "dont reck to movie for yourself"... I shrugged and didnt really care, but its true, i let the movies take me in...

Hell, i know one day i'll be able to hack the gibson with a gui :P
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

You watch REsident Evil nd complain the the computers are unrealistic?

Ummm... Brain eating zombies anyone?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Old Fart
    But that doesn't mean we can't sit back and laugh at the way some things are portrayed. We did it with Hackers, detectives to it with C.S.I., and doctors do it with ER.
    And yet we can't sit back and laugh at a post that appears on an online forum...sheeeesh!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...