some help with CACLS

Thread: some help with CACLS

some help with CACLS

hey good night ..

i am having a problem and i was wondering if someone could give me a little guidance.

Problem: I installed my hard drive into my brother's computer as the secondary drive (my brother's hard drive is still set as the master). I did this because i need to copy over some files that are located in my personal account/profile. However, it happens that i have a passwd set on my profile, so when i go to the directory and try to open it, it refuses my access to the folder.

I have been told about the security tab in the folder properties, but i am running windows XP home and this function is not available.

I have been told i can change the directory permissions through cacls. I have searched a little on google for some information and found a little on the syntax:

CACLS filename [/T] [/E] [/C] [/G usererm] [/R user [...]] [/P usererm [...]] [/D user [...]]

soo then would it be ?

CACLS directory-path-to-my-folder /T /G my-brothers-account-username:F

I was also told if i alter the permissions to the directory, as i am set as the administrator on my hard drive, i will encounter some booting problems when i use the hard drive as a master again.

Also .. the reason i am not just putting back my hard drive into my computer and removing the password is because i moved back home from university recently and i left the CPU to be sent at a later date. I also tried booting up my hard drive as the master in my brothers cpu but it would just stick ... i thought maybee cause i use a compaq and his is a dell.

I would appreciate any help with this.
    Thank You
    All I see them building is more prisions, churches and police stations .. when they should be tryin to unite the people under one accord

Well let's take a look:

1. You have two HDDs that are both "masters" with a full OS on each. This means that you have two SAM files and they are different.

2. Given the hardware sensitive nature of XP, and the anally retentive practices of brand name manufacturers it is hardly surprising that a drive from a dell won't boot a compaq. You would have to reformat and re-install to have any chance.

This might be worth a try:

1. mount your HDD on your brother's box as slave.
    2. Log in as administrator (full administrator)
    3. Go to the relevant files/folders on your slave drive and take ownership of them.

hey nihil, thanks for replying ...

well the hdd is loaded as a slave and the account which i log into on my brother's HD is an administrator account.

but how do i take ownership of folders ??

thanks
    All I see them building is more prisions, churches and police stations .. when they should be tryin to unite the people under one accord

Hey majik

Cut me some slack huh? I haven't had to do it for at least 12 months and I am currently on a Win2K exercise so my XP box is not connected

Try looking in help in Win XP, I am sure that you will find detailed instructions.

Otherwise post, and I will hook it up Monday (public holiday here).

I would suggest that you use THE administrator account, not one with some admin rights.

Cheers

lol sorry, i was being lazy .. i just didn't want to go wrong and corrupt the folder or something like that .. had some school projects and some other stuff ...

well i searched google and found a link that pointed me to microsoft support ... ended up being a fairly simple procedure to follow and incase someone esle needs info, here it is:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q308421&

thanks for the help, nihil
    peace

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Win XP Home isn't designed to be "administered:... Thus, all those nice things you get when you pay for XP Pro don't work easily... Stick it in an XP Pro box and things will "sing" to you....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey majik

Hope that worked out right for you?

TS is cool, I do not see why people don't pay the extra few dollars for the XP pro version?

And "Mountgay" is some serious licquor

And "Bacardi"..............not if you can get Doorley's "Macaw"........