Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWAP file size keeps on increasing

sunday11a

SWAP file size keeps on increasing

A win 2000 pro pc with sp4 128 mb ram
    The problem is this : The size of swap file automatically keeps on increasing even when no application is running.
    The system is on a LAN with TINY personal firewall running.
    The size keeps on increasing and when the total memory size ram +swap reaches near 320mb (when system starts memory consumed is near 95mb and even if no application is run it takes about 25 min for that size to reach 300mb) the screen becomes garbled with colored lines on it and a sec later the system restarts.
    I checked with avg antivirus---no virus found
    MS Anti-Spyware--No spyware found
    Nothing unusual in HJT logs also.
    Though sometimes it gave an error in Lsass.exe and gave a dialog that system will shutdown in 30 sec. (OS was patched for blaster worm and dcom was also disabled)
    Checked for all the running processes but found nothing unusual.

Had to reformat and reinstall the OS because the problem was not allowing for any work to happen.

Does any one has any idea what would have caused such a problem.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Since the reformat do you still have issues? Have you cleaned the machine out of dust-bunnies and the like (possible overheat?)

Have you tried using ProcessExplorer to see what might be using the memory?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AOs Resident Troll
    Your will notice HUGE improvement in performance by adding more ram.

128 just isnt enough these days..

Just my humble opinion of course.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just Another Geek
    128MB isn't much....

You may have had some program running with a memoryleak. That'll "eat up" your memory.
    Besides the ProcessExplorer mentioned by MsMittens you can also check with taskmanager.
    You may need to switch on a few more columns. Sort by memory and watch which process eats your memory.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi,

Well, I know that 128Mb is within the specifications for Win2k, but I prefer to rely on my own personal experience.

I would not start with less than 256Mb and would prefer 384 or 512Mb.

As a start, you need to go to your system settings and change the "let windows select" option to give a PAGE FILE (swap files are win9x) of 512MB user defined. I am talking about "virtual memory" here.

The way BillyWindows works is it gives about 2x your RAM to the page file (and the swap file in 9x), so you will have 128 + 256 (page file) which gives you 384Mb

OH!............I must ask, is that 128Mb a single strip, or 2x64Mb?

Anyway, what I suspect is happening is that the memory is getting used up, and there is not enough virtual memory allocated on the HDD for it. If you think about it, a machine with little physical RAM needs more virtual memory?...............I have a machine across the room with Win2000 on it..........BillyWindows gives it 2Gb of page file, yet it only gets to 190Mb of its 1024Mb of RAM when I start it................it then gets to around 320~340Mb when I start using it.

So, we now come to your problem with the display..............I am willing to bet a lakh of rupees that you have "integrated" (on motherboard) video ...............that means that you are sharing the RAM with the video..........like you have 128Mb RAM and a 64Mb video, that means that the system will only have 64Mb for the system to use.

SOLUTION:

1. Manually increase the page file size.
    2. Get some more RAM............watch out! if you have RAMBUS RIMMS you will need to install matched pairs

Please let us know how you get on

sunday11a
    After the reinstallation I till now haven't seen the problem occur again. Though haven't reinstalled all the programs that were on the earlier one
    I checked with many tools for running processes but nothing unusual, which i didnot of it, was running.
    I also suspect memory leak, and i checked in task manager to see which process was consuming the most memory but there was no memory consumption increase in any of the listed process. But the memory graph kept on increasing.
    Also some times Lsass.exe showed error and initiated a system shutdown. What could this point to.
    The ram is just one 128 mb SDRAM strip
    I know it is not enough but cannot upgrade to larger one now. And it fulfills all my needs.

Hi Sun~,

Please manually set your system to 512Mb of page file.

After that you need another SDRAM strip.............go for a 256Mb, but you need to check what your motherboard will support.............a 512 would be better

Cheers

lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies.

Note: lsass.exe also relates to the Windang.worm, irc.ratsou.b, Webus.B, MyDoom.L, Randex.AR, Nimos.worm which spread via floppy disk drives, mass-mailing and peer-to-peer sharing. Please review file path for clarification of this.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/...library/lsass/

So could have been a variant you av client didn't catch. I've also seen bad raid controllers do this, but I don't think that's the culprit.

sunday11a - Does the PC have any type of IDE raid or SCSI raid capabilities?

edit: I must learn how to proof read
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

AOs Resident Troll
    Good call dino...

That lass thing...can hit before you have time to get the updates....

I had a real prob with one machine...and that worm. xp home

Ended up formatting

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

sunday11a
    There is no RAID no SCSI just a single 40gb IDE HDD. Regarding RAM nihil i dont have any need of increasing it. All my work gets done properly even on 128.
    My system was patched properly with antivirus also updated.
    And the pc had been running fine for more than 2 months. And software firewall was always in place, with no file sharing enabled and port 135,137,138,139,445 total access blocked.