Thread: Incompatibility?

Incompatibility?

I'm currently putting together a computer from scratch using an Intel D865GBF mboard and an Intel 2.8GHz processor.

I'm not a newbie when it comes to building computers but ive checked and rechecked my setup. Power comes on, fans are spinning but nothing else is happening. I've swapped out RAM chips (DDR400) and checked Intel's processor/mboard compatibility website. I'm using a 350watt psu.

Any ideas of what the problem could be?

Thanks

********** |ceWriterguy
    Check the jumper settings for the processor on your motherboard. Check to make sure your memory is seated properly (if it wasn't and the processor was jumpered right, you would've gotten a beep). Triple check all your physical connections - cables, seating, the works.

Thanks for being specific about the mobo, processor and ram. That helps - I'll look up each and get back to you on compatibility.

[edit]From the quick lookover of the specs sheet at Intel, it appears that everything you've listed is compatible. I strongly suspect the jumper settings for the mobo to fit the processor. (check the manual on it) If this is the case, there's a good possiblity you released the magic smoke from the processor when you applied power, and will need a different one. If the jumper set is correct, suspect defective parts somewhere in the chain.[/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Ive taken everything out and put everything back in, including reseating the processor. The jumper on the mboard is correct, all power connectors are verified. I've tried reseating the ram in each of the 4 RAM slots. I know for a fact the the processor works, i pulled it out of an old computer i have, however, the motherboard is brand new. There are no beeps when i power on the computer, there is only 1 LED on the motherboard that lights up.

One other thing i noticed was that my GPU fan does not spin. Also, the hdd is not spinning.

What about the bios version? could that be the prob?

I would also like to congradulate you for supplying the motherboard information and most of the stuff that is relevant.

It turns out that this board has several revisions, a few of which do not support certain processors.

Is your 2.8GHz processor a Prescott core, or a Northwood core? (2.8E or 2.8B) And do you have any clue what revision your board is? You may need to borrow a supported processor, update the BIOS (I think an update makes the prescott processors supported), and then use your 2.8GHz processor and it *might* work.

Here is the information straight from Intel's website on this board: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/bf_proc.htm

Thanks for the info

********** |ceWriterguy
    Hrm. The fan and hdd not spinning up is indicative of a power supply issue... Even if the psu is new it should still be suspect. You seem to know pretty much what you're doing so I won't suggest checking connections again. Do you have a voltmeter handy to check for power good at each mobo connection point for these items?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

You say you moved a 2.8GHz processor from an "old machine"..................why?

Try putting it back and see if it still works, or try another processor (any compatible one will do) in the new machine. It sounds as if only the mobo is getting power (the light), that could be symptomatic of no processor being detected.

Soemtime only somtimes.. the Cmos becomes scrambled due to contact with the Anti static.. a full reset of the Boios Cmos..(I havent seen it in the newer boards) but the PSU and cpu compatability are the more probable.. (as mentioned earlier)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr