Thread: workstation to net, via server ?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

Unhappy workstation to net, via server ?

OK, it's silly question time ..............

I've got one box as server [Win2K server OS]
    and one box dual boot Win2K / XP [both Pro]

NOW; I've set up the server, and can get to the net OK.
    but the workstation will not get through to the web at all .............

Question :
    Is there a link / article that will give a 'script' to follow, so that I can get this system running.

I can see the server from the workstation, and the workstation from the server.
    I have mapped a couple of drives to start me off
    and the IP's are set in the 192.168.0.1/2 range.

I am assuming it's the server that is the problem area ? as I have joined PC's to an existing workgroup / domain before [:honest:]

I am beginning to think that maybe IT is not the place to try a new career if I cannot do this

Please advise :help me:

TIA
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hmm... there was a recent thread about this same topic.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=267874

This was regarding two Win2K machines, but I doubt it makes a difference whether the client is an XP or 2K box.

If that thread doesn't help, ask away!
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

From the info you provided... sounds like a gateway or dns problem.

Can you reach the net using IP addresses only?
    How far does you traceroute go using domain name? How far does it go using IP?

How are you assigning your IPs locally? Using the server as a DHCP server? Is that set properly? Client getting the correct settings? Have you tried static?

Same for DNS... are you using the Server for DNS? Setup properly? Try your ISPs DNS addresses on the client workstation.

Also, is your server acting as your gateway? Or do you have a router in there?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Sorry for the delay :
    will have to get back later.

thanks for the advice so far

back later :cheers:
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

OK:
    explanation time .............
    Have just [?] got my notice, and am therefore looking for a job ....................
    So, I have not been able to tackle this problem properly.

So, I am using this post to bump the thread, just in case anyone else has ideas

I have set the server as gateway, and there is NO router [yet]

router is next project, plus Samba [?]

I am going to play with the problem tonight, expect more whining soon

TIA

[edit]
    apparently I have to spread my AP's around for both Striek AND Phish

Regal Making Handler
    There are two methods both require the server to have routing and remote access running on the server.

1/ Routed.
    2/ Translated.

Below is details for both methods copied from help files.

1/ Routed.
    Routed connection to the InternetThis scenario describes a small office or home office (SOHO) network that connects to the Internet by using a routed connection.

A SOHO network has the following characteristics:

One network segment.
    A single protocol: TCP/IP.
    Demand-dial or dedicated-link connections to the Internet service provider (ISP).

The server running Routing and Remote Access is configured with a network adapter for the media that is used in the home network (for example, Ethernet) and an ISDN adapter or an analog modem. You can use a leased line or other permanent connection technologies, such as xDSL and cable modems, but this scenario describes the more typical configuration that uses a dial-up link to a local ISP.

This section covers:

Configuring a routed connectionTo configure a routed connection to the Internet for a small office or home office (SOHO) network, the following are configured:

The server running Routing and Remote Access.
    Other computers on the SOHO network.
    Configuring the server running Routing and Remote Access to act as a router
    To configure the server running Routing and Remote Access to act as a router, the following steps are completed:

The TCP/IP protocol on the server running Routing and Remote Access for the SOHO network interface is configured with:
    IP address (from the address range obtained from the ISP).
    Subnet mask (from the address range obtained from the ISP).
    DNS server (from the IP address received from the ISP).
    TCP/IP is configured through the properties of the TCP/IP protocol for the local area connection in Network Connections.

Note

Do not configure a default gateway.
    The Routing and Remote Access service is installed and enabled.
    For information on installing and enabling the Routing and Remote Access service, see To enable the Routing and Remote Access service.

Routing on the dial-up port is enabled.
    If the connection to the Internet is a permanent connection that appears as a LAN interface (such as DDS, T-Carrier, Frame Relay, permanent ISDN, xDSL, or cable modem), or if you are connecting your server running Routing and Remote Access to another router before the connection to the Internet, skip to step 5.

For information about enabling routing on the dial-up port, see To enable routing on ports.

A demand-dial interface is created to connect to the ISP.
    A demand-dial interface is created that is enabled for IP routing and uses the dial-up equipment and credentials that are used to dial the ISP. For more information about creating demand-dial interfaces, see To add a demand-dial interface.

A default static route is created that uses the Internet interface.
    For a default static route, the demand-dial interface (for dial-up connections) or LAN interface (for permanent or intermediate router connections) that is used to connect to the Internet is selected. The destination is 0.0.0.0 and the network mask is 0.0.0.0. For a demand-dial interface, the gateway IP address is not configurable. For a LAN interface that is a point-to-point connection to your ISP, the gateway address is 0.0.0.0.

For more information about configuring a default static route, see To add a default static IP route.

Multicast support is configured (optional).
    To add multicast support to the SOHO network:

The IGMP routing protocol is added. For more information, see To add the IGMP routing protocol.
    IGMP router mode is enabled on the interface that is connected to the home network. For more information, see To enable IGMP router and IGMP proxy mode.
    IGMP proxy mode is enabled on the interface that is connected to the ISP. For more information, see To enable IGMP router and IGMP proxy mode.
    Configuring other computers on the SOHO network
    The TCP/IP protocol on the SOHO hosts is configured with:

IP address (from the address range obtained from the ISP).
    Subnet mask (from the address range obtained from the ISP).
    Default gateway (the IP address assigned to the SOHO server running Routing and Remote Access network adapter).
    DNS server (from the IP address received from the ISP).
    TCP/IP is configured through the properties of the TCP/IP protocol for the local area connection in Network Connections.

Note

The previous configuration of SOHO hosts assumes that TCP/IP is configured manually. To automatically configure TCP/IP for SOHO hosts, you must install and configure a DHCP server. For more information, see DHCP overview.
    The example companies, organizations, products, people and events depicted herein are fictitious. No association with any real company, organization, product, person or event is intended or should be inferred.
    2/ Translated

Configuring a translated connectionTo configure the server running Routing and Remote Access to connect a small office or home office (SOHO) network to the Internet with a translated connection by using the network address translation (NAT) routing protocol and a dial-up connection to an Internet service provider (ISP), the steps in Deploying network address translation are completed.

Note

This scenario assumes the use of the NAT routing protocol for the translated connection. You can simplify the configuration of a translated connection by using the Internet Connection Sharing feature of Network Connections. For more information about the differences between Internet Connection Sharing and NAT, see Internet Connection Sharing and network address translation. For information about Internet Connection Sharing, see Internet Connection Sharing.
    For more information about setting up network address translation, see Setting up network address translation.

Configuring multicast support (optional)
    To add multicast support to the home network:

The IGMP routing protocol is added. For more information, see To add the IGMP routing protocol.
    IGMP router mode is enabled on the interface that is connected to the home network. For more information, see To enable IGMP router and IGMP proxy mode.
    IGMP proxy mode is enabled on the interface that is connected to the ISP. For more information, see To enable IGMP router and IGMP proxy mode.
    Note

The example companies, organizations, products, people and events depicted herein are
    fictitious. No association with any real company, organization, product, person or event is intended or should be inferred.

What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I'd left the F/W on the workstation, as I was using it as stand alone to access the web until I got it sorted

I've got one box as server [Win2K server OS]
    and one box dual boot Win2K / XP [both Pro]

NOW; I've set up the server, and can get to the net OK.
    but the workstation will not get through to the web at all .............

I can see the server from the workstation , and the workstation from the server.
    and the IP's are set in the 192.168.0.1/2 range.
    server > workstation was NOT being seen [My bad] ping was being dropped at the F/W [Sygate] new rule to allow, now OK.

NOW, I can update AdAware, AVG etc but I CANNOT get MSIE to access the web via the server.
    I'm posting to bump [again] and am working through the suggestions added so far.

Does anyone have the answer ?
    could you tell me ?

server = 192.168.0.1
    W-stn = 192.168.0.2

DNS servers are as ISP allocated [set in server TCP/IP settings]

Regal Making Handler
    Go into Mie, bollocks ive got to open it.................wait one..........Tools>internet options>connections. Make sure never dial is dotted. Then go to lan settings and make sure automaticaly detect settings is enabled.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

SORTED .........

My brother took pity and bought me an ADSL router .......
    plugged it into the hub, pinged it from the server, set all boxes to get IP setting automatically, and BINGO ........ I got internet from every box online

Now to break it and fix it then break it again

Thanks again for the help, did plenty of reading up, and am now acutely aware of just how much knowledge I'm lacking ..........