View Poll Results: Why the Nic???

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • A childhood nickname revamped for the internet???

3 9.68%
  • Some deep-reasoned metaphor???

7 22.58%
  • The name just cropped up and sounded cool???

5 16.13%
  • A reflection of the type of person you think you are???

7 22.58%
  • You stole the idea from someone else???

1 3.23%
  • You're really a secret agent and that's your code name???

8 25.81%

Thread: Pharming: A Growing Threat

Wink Pharming: A Growing Threat

now everyone's starting to talk about pharming. Sounds familiar. Like the old scam when people used to send an email and in the email a link would send them to a Paypal "site" or something the ask them to enter info and then the people get the info. Maybe its the same but now its getting more attention.
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

What? No "No, but I hope it will really soon" or "Yes, and I can't wait until it does again" options... Bah! I suppose a simple "Yes" or "No" would have sufficed, then?

-Wiski

[Edit] Also, define "affect"... I mean, I suppose it's affected the majority of us, even if it's only a minor annoyance...[/Edit]
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

The only decent pharming technique I have seen is via local network and spoofers, being DNS / ARP etc. I The threat of phishing or pharming will always be a low threat for me, every decent effort I have seen of replicating sites has always be foiled by a simple error. By now, if something smells a little phishy, I take extra care, my online banking is kept at a minimum, and if the site looks slightly wrong, takes a little too long to load, or accesses the wrong servers, i'll simply type my password in wrong and check in deeper.

However, pharming techniques on a larger scale, imo, if implemented correctly can be devastating, ie the recent www.googkle.com, or which ever the spelling error was. Opened a few popups and started download malware of all kindas onto your system. However, it has been removed from (atleast my ISP's) DNS registrar so it no longer posses a threat. Once again, because it wasnt implemented correctly.

I do not agree it is a growing threat, there are different techniques to do it now, however, they are more complex and on a large scale, they are not a threat, every other attack hasnt been successful because the attacker was 'lazy' or didnt implement the attack with enough error checking, foiling his/her attempts...

Just my opinion
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)