May 1st, 2005, 07:13 PM
Password Recovery Disk
I am thinkin of making a password recovery disk for work because I am sick of havin to download stuff all the time for example I was fixing Act 2005 for a customer and when I called him to ask for his user/pass he said he had no clue so i went to elcomsoft.com and got the act recovery program.
I think I'll make it
-bootable with Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to reset nt/2k/xp passwords
and have all of these from elcomsoft
* Microsoft software: Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, OneNote, Project, Visio, VBA, Money, Mail, Schedule+, IE (updated!)
* Microsoft Word and Excel 97/2000 (guaranteed decryption) (updated!)
* Compression utilities (archives): ZIP/PkZip/WinZip, RAR/WinRAR, ACE/WinACE, ARJ/WinArj
* Corel WordPerfect Office: WordPerfect, QuattroPro, Paradox
* Lotus SmartSuite (Organizer, WordPro, 1-2-3 and Approach)
* E-mail clients (Microsoft Internet Mail And News, Eudora, TheBat!, Netscape Navigator/Communicator Mail, Pegasus mail, Calypso mail, FoxMail, Phoenix Mail, IncrediMail, @nyMail, QuickMail Pro, MailThem, Opera mail, Kaufman Mail Warrior, Becky! Internet Mail)
* Instant Messengers (ICQ, ICQLite, Yahoo!, AOL IM, MSN Messenger, Excite Messenger, Odigo, Trillian, AT&T IM Anywhere, T-Online Messenger, Match Messenger, Praize IM, ScreenFIRE, ACD Express Comunicator, Imici Messenger, Prodigy IM, PowWow Messenger, Jabber IM, Kellster IM, PalTalk, Indiatimes messenger, Miranda, Tiscali, Ya.com Messenger, Rediff Bol, Sifty Buzz, Devil, Tencent QQ, &RQ, Ipswitch Instant Messenger, Eighth Wonder Catax, Simple Instant Messenger, Vista IM, GAIM, Global-IM, Psi Jabber client, Messenger2, Picasa Hello, iWon, Blowsearch, MessageMate) (updated!)
* Intuit Quicken, Quicken Lawyer and QuickBooks
* Adobe Acrobat (PDF) (updated!)
* ACT! (Symantec / Best Software) (updated!)
thats copied right from their site. In addition I want to put the latest version of Cain and the old one for 9x as well.
then probably snitch from www.ntsecurity.nu
I dont think Id really use anything other than those tools
BTW i work for a comptuer repair store.
What do ya guys think!
May 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM
I think you need to sort your charge out rates?..............
Like no password = reformat and reinstall.........at whatever you charge.
Password recovery = $75 extra
You have to take a hard line
Obviously, you will only have to do this for applications and NT systems as 9x systems have no security if you have the box.
May 1st, 2005, 08:41 PM
Well that stuff isnt up to me but we dont charge people much at all our hourly rate is only 60$ an hour and its a 2hour max. so idk haha
May 2nd, 2005, 02:52 AM
How does the company stay in business?!?
Our rates are generally $250 an hour, full day increments only, plus expenses. And thats for security consulting and analysis.
If it's actual WORK you need done...we call it staff augmentation. We currently charge about $7k a week for that. Plus expenses.
It's good to be on the SHORT list of approved services...
"Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
"...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
May 2nd, 2005, 03:23 AM
We charge so little because we deal with mostly resdential buisness. My boss does not make a lot of money at all, being part time I only bad 4k less than him last year net. Our old location we only charged 50$ an hour and that was for 3 years. Now we have been charging a little more but the answer to your question is, my boss's wife makes enough money to support their family, so he can charge so little. Idk he has been doin it for 5 years now.
May 2nd, 2005, 05:12 AM
You really need password recovery for ALL those programs ? I would expect Windows Passwords, to get in and restore settings etc etc, but having a CD thats gonna crack all their emails / archieves / documents, a little overkill ?
Resetting a Windows Password w/o their concent can also leave you abit of a pickel, if the client has decided to use the NT FS EFS encryption technique, and you reset their password, you just killed all those files that were encrypted.
So a password resetting policy may have a benefit of stating that those problems do exist, and you do not take liability etc etc etc, the standard legal forms.
Win9x computers though, just rename the users .pwl file to .old or similar, login as the user, change settings, then rename .old to .pwl, and you can leave without a trace
May 14th, 2005, 01:49 AM
I know all bout pwls lol but I i figured id just make it in just in case because I have run across the need of using most of these tools and I might as well have it in my cd case.
June 16th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I run computer service out of my house. I do residential work mainly, and I only charge $10/hr for most services. Flat rates of $15 for memory installation, $30 for password recovery...but they only pay if I recover the password, otherwise they pay $50 for Windows installation and $10/hr for the formatting. Then again, I don't have a business license yet, I don't want to until things pick up and I get back from vacation this summer.
Speaking of which, I need to stop being lazy and get my certs...anyone know of any sites that would give me the material I need for A+ HW, A+ SW, and MCSE?
PS - oofki, I'd recommend l0phtcrack, and RainbowTables for LM and maybe NT if you have the storage/and time or money (generate or buy).
Also, on my site, I have this thing I call Samantha. It will allow you to reset the password for any user in the SAM file: http://capslock.filetap.com/files/RH...loppy_Image.7z
Sry, but the password is there because some net admins at the school didn't like some content on my site, so a few things are locked.
Also, because I can't post EXE's and ZIP compression blows, you'll need 7zip from www.7-zip.org to open it. It's free and open source.
Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.
June 17th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Axess I kno bout l0pth and kinda forgot about it and rainbow tables just take so long to make, ahh! I tried out ur fdd image and it didnt boot through, prolly a bad floppy ill try a dif one at work 2morro, ty m8
June 17th, 2005, 02:09 AM
you plan to boot Offline NT Password & Registry Editor and run windows apps? am i missing something?
Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”