Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frickkin' Headaches!

Frickkin' Headaches!

Ola:

Oy! Last couple of days have been met with mongo headaches - presumbly from sitting and working in front of the computer!

Checked my ergo sitting and keyboard access - seems alright. Monitor tilt - ok.

Anyone else get headaches from working on the computer?

See if sunlight and the outdoors do anything...

Let me know if you have any headache cures - no booze as I have to come back to work and they don't like it anymore when I dance on the desks.

Gracias.

Never had headaches, and im pretty much on a PC wherver i go, mornings in school, then at home.
    O.G at A.O

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Headaches can be caused by any number of things:

- air pressure: I sometimes get some wicked ones when there's an incoming storm. Not much you can do but wait it out

- tiredness: 5 - 15 minute catnaps can usually solve this. I sometimes get these due to the cats thinking that 2am is a great time for the world-famous "Cat Relay Tag".

- caffeine/sugar withdrawals: if you've stopped on either of these (both addictive substances) you may experience headaches. Again, this is a wait-it-out kind of thing

- not enough "fuel": might be hungry. Quick snack (fruit or something else that is real food) might help this balance.

One solution that I use to deal with headaches is going for a walk or riding my bike. Sometimes it can be allergy related or just being inside. A quick, brisk walk around the block can sometimes clear up that headache and get some oxygen (along with other lovely fumes) into those lungs.

Worst case: if you desperately want to get rid of the headache, old fashioned aspirin might do the trick.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

OK thwomp:

Apart from brain tumours, cancer and a badly executed delivery of a 9mm Parabellum round, there are two basic causes:

1. Eyestrain
    2. Migraine

Please get an eye test. Remember, what you are doing is totally un-natural and you are focusing at a distance of some 24-30 inches. This will not be your natural reading distance, so ordinary sight and reading glasses don't work.

What are the symptoms of the hedaches, is there a sequence of events? can you describe what you experience up to getting the hedache?

Also try using a lower screen resolution, and check the screen, if it is losing focus that can strain your eyes...................and don't tell me the screen is new..............test it!

Ola:

Thank you for the responses. I had a brain-gap and was just reminded (spouses are great for that!) that what causes my headaches - besides the possible causes that were mentioned: vertebrae out of alignment. I have to go get adjusted again. My C1 and C2 get out of alignment, rub against the "Vegas" nerve and trigger headaches.

I also get headaches when I don't get my caffeine "hit", when I don't eat for a while - @12 hours, and when the barometer pressure changes. But for some reason, I forgot about my neck as well.

Also - my headaches usually come with nausea, intense pounding, and in some cases, I have to be somewhere that is basically sensory deprived - no light, no sound or minimal, in order to allow my brain to "unclench". Probably sounds weird, but that's what happens. I take Exedrin Migraine, but it has to be like right when the pain is starting, otherwise nothing seems to work.

Well - thanks again and I'm off to schedule with the chiro.

Gracias.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    my headaches usually come with nausea, intense pounding, and in some cases, I have to be somewhere that is basically sensory deprived - no light, no sound or minimal, in order to allow my brain to "unclench". Probably sounds weird, but that's what happens. I take Exedrin Migraine, but it has to be like right when the pain is starting, otherwise nothing seems to work.
    This sounds like a migraine rather than a headache. You might want to speak to your GP about ways to deal with this. Caffeine is one of those things that can aggrevate these.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I've also heard that working in flourescent lightc can have something to do with it. If your monitor refresh rate is set to the same frequency as the lights above, that can cause major eyestrain and headaches.

[EDIT]

[strike]I'll try and track down a link or something...[/strike]

source: here

3. Refresh rates

Some users might find that they are able to discern a ‘flickering’ effect when they look at their monitor. This effect is due to the way that the display on a monitor refreshes itself. As the refresh rate of a monitor is so high (the default setting within MS Windows is usually 100Hertz) it is usually impossible to see the flicker under normal circumstances however some refresh rates may cause problems particularly with fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent lights usually have a flicker rate at a multiple of the mains frequency (50-60Hz or 2X) and so if your monitor refresh rate is set within the ranges 50-60Hz or 100-120Hz, the effect of the lights and your monitor refreshing at the same frequency may mean that you may be able to discern a flickering effect. To combat this using, a refresh rate that is not a multiple of mains frequency will mean that the lights and monitor refresh at different rates thus making the flicker less noticeable.

To change the refresh frequency for your monitor, access the display properties by right-clicking on an empty part of the Windows desktop, and choose Properties from the menu. When the display properties panel is shown, go to the ‘Settings’ tab and click the ‘Advanced’ button which will open a new advanced settings window. In the advanced settings window, click on the ‘Monitor’ tab. Or, you can also access these display properties through the Control Panel:

Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Display > ‘Settings’ tab > ‘Advanced’ button > ‘Monitor’ tab
    [/EDIT]
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    from 11001001's post :

Fluorescent lighting is a PIG.

You really need 100 Hz fittings, as the standard 50 Hz [UK] are flickering at exactly the same speed [Hz = Hertz = frequency = cycles per second] as your monitor.

if sunlight and the outdoors do anything
    WTF : Weirdo alert
    HE actually WANTS to go outside

Stay AWAY from the light
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Dead Man Walking
    outside wtf is that? Never even heard of it.

In allseriousness I get the exact same thing bro. 800mg of ibuprophen usualy does the trick for me but like you I have to pop em when it starts or Im screwed. Oh yea and intense sinus pressure. it feels like I have about 6 pounds of boogers sitting in my sinus cavities. Certain smells usualy set me off like strong chemical smells or green apple flavored ****. If you get the sinus pressure as well try advil -sinus. that stuff roxors

********** |ceWriterguy
    Mrs |ce gets migraines when:

The weather changes (storm fronts move through). Some of her other triggers include processed meats (pepperoni, salami, any not-kosher hot dog), chocolate, caffeine, anything containing MSG (no chinese food for us ), and other miscellaneous foods too numerous to list here, loud noises, sudden altitude changes (so we don't fly unless it's urgent), any strong scents especially perfume, flourescent lighting is a killer as is any bright lighting (sunglasses indoors to remedy), and most especially stress.

She currently takes the following to prevent migraines:
    Nadolol, Lexapro, Mobic, and Ambien to induce sleeping at night, or tincture of Valerian root if she's out (we know an herbal apothecary who makes it).

When she gets migraines, she takes either:
    Relpax if she catches it early enough, or Frova with an Aleve kicker if she doesn't. She's also been known to need IV drug infusions (DHE-45) every 8 hours over a 72 hour period in the hospital for the most severe.

To the OP, she says count yourself lucky if it's only a need of joint realignment or a plain headache.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!