Thread: Classic AOL

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Classic AOL

AOL Filters Block Emergency Weather E-Mails

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Efforts by one Florida county to put out weather alerts by e-mail have hit a high-tech roadblock: AOL is tagging the messages as spam.

The problem dates back to last year's unusually busy hurricane season when Indian River County was hit by two major storms -- Frances and Jeanne.

Some 4,200 people signed up for the county's e-mail alert service, which offers quick alerts on hurricanes, tornadoes and other weather emergencies.

But a county computer software engineer says because e-mail is sent out in large numbers, "it becomes a pattern for spam senders."

The county is working with AOL to fix the problem. In the meantime, AOL users are being told to put the county's e-mail account in their computer's address book so their computers know to accept the messages.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I would not agree it's AOL. I think the county needs to reevaluate the idea of delivering critical service through inherently unreliable medium.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I think the county needs to reevaluate the idea of delivering critical service through inherently unreliable medium.
    Er... The internet came out of DARPA, (the military), and was designed to withstand a nuclear attack.... How much more "reliable" do you think it should be....

The only unreliable thing in this story is AOL, (specifically it's spam filter), but then again AOL being unreliable isn't exactly news.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

man...you people complain when AOL doesnt work, and now you complain when it does. I hate AOL but the fact of the matter is, the filter is doing exactly what it was made to do. It is just working too well. But I do agree that an email isnt exactly early warning for a storm. maybe they should just call people instead?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com