Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Added new larger disk..need DISKPART sequence

Question Added new larger disk..need DISKPART sequence

I am a new subscriber, and am not sure if this belongs in the forum. I recently replaced my HD with a 250GB SATA disk, and reinstalled my distribution copy of WinXP/Pro. Since my distribution is prior to SP1, it isn't recognizing more that the 28-bit limit of 137GB. I modified my registry to EnableBigLba to 0x0000001, and used the DISKPART RESCAN command. Now the disk shows the whole disk, but I am wondering if anyone has the sequence of commands in DISKPART to either 1) Extend my primary partition, or 2) to create another partition (or Volume?). Thanks.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Are you intending to 'update' to SP2 ?

And as for the HDD Partition Magic
    was made for the job ............. Unless [of course] I'm barking at the wrong end of the stick
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I think it is better to have at least two partitions even if the one is only 2 or 3gig and use it as your boot partition..therefore if your operating system becomes unusable corrupted or infected by a virus..you can reformat it without a problem.One big one..?just my two cents
    Practise what you preach.

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    Are you intending to 'update' to SP2 ?
    Yes, I am intending to update to SP2 (which I understands removes the need to modify the registry). After the update, wouldn't I still need to use DISKPART to get access to the remainder of the new drive? My original install only sees 137GB.

I would 'think / hope' that when you do a SP2 update, that if you enter the recovery console, via the OS CD, and 'fixboot', that the setup would now see all the HDD.
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Originally posted here by vanman
    I think it is better to have at least two partitions even if the one is only 2 or 3gig and use it as your boot partition..therefore if your operating system becomes unusable corrupted or infected by a virus..you can reformat it without a problem.One big one..?just my two cents
    Sounds like a good idea...now I just need the DISKPREP procedure to create the partition. From what little I've been able to find, it would appear that to create the second partition with the remainder of the disk, I do:

C:\WINDOWS> DISKPART
    DISKPART> SELECT DISK 0
    DISKPART> CREATE PARTITION EXTENDED
    DISKPART> CREATE PARTITION LOGICAL

From there, I'm not sure where to continue to get XP to see the rest of the disk as a partition (i.e., ASSIGN, CREATE VOLUME, etc.).

Is there any reason why you are so fixated on DiskPart ?

From what i've read, it's a CLI prog, wheras Partion Magic is a fully paid up member of the GUI squad

I can see that it's already a part of the OS, and that you might just want to explore your OS, but is there another agenda here ?

luck to you.

[edit]
    from the first post :
    You can already see ALL the disc .........

re-install OS as a repair ? [forgotten the words ] whereby you put a fresh OS onto your disc, but do not change the settings :brain dead ****tard here:

This has the ability to 'reset' your partition.
    You might need to do a clean install, but try it anyway, as it sounds like you have already utilised DiskPart to its logical conclusion.

If I remember correctly, Diskpart is solely the command line interface for the XP disk manager. I would suggest using the Microsoft built in disk manager. I forget the exact wording of the name, but its fairly easy to use.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I think there was a way to get a full version of windows xp sp2 with the sp2 update cd alone... all you need to do is buy the sp2 cd, and I think instead of installing, I think you click update.... or something like that... I havn't tried this myself but I have heard from a reliable source that it works, and you save big bucks lol... Anyone heard of this before??
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

I would use the xp cd and just define the sizes of the partitions..1st the boot part..and the remainder you would then split up as logical disk drives in xp disk management.you can always change their behaviour in xp
    Practise what you preach.