Thread: Confirming an ip to web address and vice-versa?

Confirming an ip to web address and vice-versa?

Ola:

I am checking out a client's web address to ip. Can nslookup the web address and get the ip. However, when I do an nslookup to confirm the web address, DNS says it is non-existent.

What am I missing here?

I know the site it live, but does this sound like they are blocking ip-to-web address lookups (is that what is called as "reverse-DNS" lookup)?

Also - if that is blocked, is that a good security practice to do so? Sounds like it might, but not sure.

Gracias.

AOs Resident Troll
    This site may help

http://www.dnsstuff.com/
    Has reverse dns...and lots of other "Stuff"

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

\"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Ola:

morganlefay said:

This site may help

http://www.dnsstuff.com/
    Has reverse dns...and lots of other "Stuff"

MLF
    Most excellent!

Gracias!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    While you will be given full control over the forward lookup for your DNS within your netblock you rarely have any control over the RDNS to those same addresses since they effectively belong to your ISP and they usually keep control of the RDNS resolution rather than let their customers mess up a nice addressing system with random RDNS names.....

Hence, in your case they haven't set up the RDNS for your netblock and thus your can't RDNS your own netblock.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides