Hiding drive in Win XP?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding drive in Win XP?

Question Hiding drive in Win XP?

I am running Windows XP Pro with 2 hard drives. There are 2 accounts on this computer. One with the Administrator privilidges and one without. Is there a way to hide one of the drive letters so the other person (the one without Admin privilidges) wont be able to access any of the files or the hard drive itself??? I would really like it if they can't see the harddrive when they go to 'My Computer'. One is labeled C: (40GB) and the other is labeled F: (160GB). I want to hide the F: drive.

I don't believe you can hide the drive, as I think drives are based on the machine, not the user, but if the second one is formatted with NTFS you can remove permission to read/write to it for the other user.

Cool, the drive is formatted with NTFS. How can I remove the permission to read/write for the other user?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    One is labeled C: (40GB) and the other is labeled F: (160GB). I want to hide the F: drive.
    Sounds a lot like someone is hiding their pr0n collection from mummy and daddy......

Right click the F: drive, select properties - Security, remove everyone except the administrators account from the permissions and click Advanced. Check the bix to force the permissions down through the tree and apply.

Only the admin will be granted access to any part of the drive.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    Not too sure about how XP works...

But with NT...if you removed the everyone group from a drive\folder ...you had to be sure to add the SYSTEM to the permissions as well as administrator....this would allow some automated processes\ utilities to run...such as AV, Backup...???

Is this necessary?

Not up on my XP...yet

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Tiger shark, After I right-click then Properties, i don't see anything with Security. The only tabs I see are General, Tools, Hardware, SHaring, and Quota.??

AOs Resident Troll
    Then its probably not formatted NTFS

MLF

It is NTFS, but I have Service Pack 2. My C: drive is NTFS as well, i get the same options. I attached a picture of what I see when I right-click then go to properties.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well....I have the security tab...and I have SP2.

But then again.....I am running XP PRO...

You may have to just unplug the drive...when your not using it

MLF

I am running WIndows XP PRofessional with service pack 2 as well . Did you look at the attachment. It's a picture of what I see when I right-click then click on properties. You don't see the same thing?????