European Constitution. What's the hurry?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European Constitution. What's the hurry?

European Constitution. What's the hurry?

France, the country that for almost half a century has been the driving force for European integration, may be the first to turn down Europe's most ambitious step toward political integration yet the EU Constitutional Treaty.
    http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20050...4241-5937r.htm

Would it really be a bad thing if they slowed the headlong rush toward becoming
    the "United States of Europe"? From what little I've seen, this constitution
    hasn't been very well thought out anyway. They already have the advantages
    of economic cooperation. Why hurry on the political unity?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    The economic cooperation made the EU the biggest most powerful economic force in the world... the political cooperation... fill in the blanks

Economics are looked at as the main reason, but even if France were an economic juggernaught they wouldn't move any faster. If that weren't true then the US would have tried to integrate itself with Mexico and many other Central/South American countries a long time ago.

That aside, a USE won't happen anytime soon, from one thing more than any other--pride. If you haven't noticed, the most driving economic forces in Europe still use their own coin, not the Euro. I don't blame anyone to not be willing to give up their soveriegnty, especially if by doing so they have to clean up the messes in other less developed countries. For the most successful of Europe's nations, political unity doesn't provide too many benefits--especially considering (like said) they already have the benefit of the economic cooperation without such a risky step.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

Banned
    If you haven't noticed, the most driving economic forces in Europe still use their own coin, not the Euro.
    Huh? Which ones are those?

As far as i know about the only member of the EU ,at the time, that didnt adopt the Euro was the UK. As for the main reason for the possiable no vote in France it has more to do with social issues rather than the "political" side of things. Europe is already a political entity. The consitution is just the next step.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

The 51st State - Mexico.

They are here already so why not?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Better off with Canada as the 51st state that way you could have some decent beer in the US.
    /offtopic Road how are your travel plans coming? Havent had much time to post here as I have been in Ireland on holidays with no internet connexion.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Regal Making Handler
    I was in Amsterdam last weekend, they are quite envious (not quite sure if that is the correct word) that us Brits still have the pound still.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I had thought that after economical, the main reason to form the EU was to create a military to rival the US (NOTE: these articles are circa 2003), it also mentions the UK resisting the Euro assimiliation:

Europe Launches Plans for Military to Rival U.S.

Here's another one:

Paris and Berlin prepare alliance to rival Nato

And another with China looking forward to the EU:

EU viewed by China as world power to rival US

Part of me gets anxious about this, as it may start another Arms Race and spark another Cold War, another part says "Go ahead - become a SuperPower - then you can be the "World Police", and maybe take some heat off of us - this way maybe our country will get out-sourced work from the EU and China - because we will become the "cheaper option", and another part says "Who cares - us little people, no matter what country or nation, beyond supposed "bragging rights" will still get squeezed by the powers that be."

Honestly, I expected the EU to already be a SuperPower, I mean most, if not all of the countries have more experience and history and I expect dominance from that. Then again, what the hell do I know?
    \"An ant may well destroy a whole dam.\" - Chinese Proverb
    \"Not only can water float a craft, it can sink it also.\" - Chinese Proverb

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=764

Muracu, a couple of things have come up and I couldn't align a trip with work. In fact I am burning some days going to a funeral in Nevada this week. If you get a chance to catch them DO IT. As they add more Euro dates I may change back to attending a date over there. It's a fantasy to see them at Slain Castle. Oh don't fret the funeral, I celebrate the life of those I knew. Happy times after the initial shock and displacement.

Now who the hell says Canada has better beer? Outside of the local micro brew market they are the bastard children of mega breweries... Molson/Coors? Labatts? Ok Ok they are a little better. But Canadians come through the gates and say "Hi".
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.