Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network Audit for Grad Project

nessus

Make sure you get permission first, but nessus is a very good overall testing tool and provides many different options. On top of that its freeware.

Just Another Geek
    Get the permission in writing too (including what you are and aren't allowed to do). If you accidently break something they won't be able to blame it on you.. Unless you did something they didn't allow... That's why you need it in writing. That way they can't change their minds when something goes wrong (intentionally or not).
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks for your concern, but I have asked and I am allowed.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Sorry this is late, I just signed up to the site today.

If you're still looking to do some network security auditing (my favorite part of my job) you probably want to take a look at running Nessus. You can download it for free from.

www.nessus.org

There is a tutorial on the site for how to use it. It requires no more than a Linux machine and the most basic comprehension of networking to get working.

If you couple Nessus, Nmap, Ethereal (all open-source programs) you have the ability to completely map out and test a network for security weakness on a system by system basis.

Coming from a Cisco background I'd suggest you look into the security on your perimeter routers because they have to pass huge amount of traffic through with little or no packet inspection, but they also have to maintain a level of security on the traffic coming through them. The configuration on them or on your company's firewall would be a good start for background. No reason to re-invent the wheel.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous