Thread: Realvnc ,Small.simple,free and efective!

Realvnc ,Small.simple,free and efective!

Greetings all,
    I just wanted to share some info with you guys regarding a small program which I downloaded from the net at realvnc.com..Scenario being the following:I was asked by a client of mine to install two network cards because they always had to jump from one desk to the other to work on certain programs.The one pc had winxp prof and the other win 98..That was my biggest challenge because I know that you can use remote desktop but as far as I know you have to have xp on both and to top it all the one specific program on the 98 machine is not win xp compatable.My son then told me about the site I mentioned and said I must download realvnc4, which does exactly that and it is free.

Guys this program is only 683kb big to download and once installed is 1.5mb.We have now tested this program between various machines running different o/s and it works fine.You install the program on both machines …run one as a server(the one which you want to access) and the one as viewer(the one you are running from..)It has got password protection the works..In some cases you have to get the ip at which the server is running and whalla you have full access to that desktop and can perform any task as if you are in front of it..

What astonished me is the simplicity of it and the size.Best of all it is free!!!
    Hope some of you can use it..Please tell me what you think of it..
    I know there might be quite a few programs out there which can do the same, but don’t you think something like this could have been considered, with windows operating systems. A rat (remote administrative tool) maybe?in a way yes.

Cheers
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Im not sure if realvnc is clear text or creates an encrypted connection.... have you tried tightvnc? Its free too and its encrypted.

http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Just Another Geek
    IIRC a RAT is a Remote Access Trojan not Tool.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks Instronics,i have not tried tightvnc and as far as i can remember realvnc does have encryption.I will defenitely look at tightvnc..

Come to think of it in a way people might see these little programs as a hacking tool,difference being that you use it for the reason what it is being designed for.. With the other party,s concent of course

cheers

SilentVNC is another good utility,
    check http://www.tech-forums.net/computer/topic/10948.html

Thanks
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?