Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real or false positive?

Real or false positive?

Today I run ad-aware and found nothing. Then I updated MS AntiSpyware and it found "Commander Toolbar" and "INetBar", no files are detected, only registry keys...so is it real or false positive? I attached a screenshot.

It looks to me like a previous spyware scan found these files and removed them and you have since forgotten about them, but they never removed the registry keys.

I found this and this at Computer Associates, and both appear to have files associated with them, which you apparently do not have on your system.

So the keys are likely evidence that, at one time, these baddies did exist on your system, but have since been removed (at least the files). Just remove the registry keys and you should be fine.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

It looks to me like a previous spyware scan found these files and removed them and you have since forgotten about them, but they never removed the registry keys.
    I will agree with Striek on this one.. this is why I nowmaly recommend running 2 Anti-spyware progs.. some time is is simply because the writers dont consider the some files to be a hi risk..some just dont know about the extras.. ..it happens
    Also it is a good idea to run some scanners in safemode..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

It is some what strange since I have not seen these two spyware on my computer before, also that my computer have not been infected with any before...

Please remember that the MS product is still in Beta.

Try getting:

Ewido
    Pest Patrol
    a-squared
    Spybot S & D

Update them and run them in safe mode.

I would personally not rely on a single anti- spy/adware product

Lightbulb

Today I run ad-aware and found nothing. Then I updated MS AntiSpyware and it found "Commander Toolbar" and "INetBar", no files are detected, only registry keys...so is it real or false positive? I attached a screenshot.
    does that mean that you didn't update ad-aware defs before running the scan?

Just Wondering

P.S. Some antispyware detects stuff others don't... for example, some detect keyloggers while others can.

Hope it helps
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

I update ad-aware, spybot, antivirus, spywareblaster, among other things daily...

T3h Ch3F
    Originally posted here by al1aprize
    does that mean that you didn't update ad-aware defs before running the scan?

Just Wondering

P.S. Some antispyware detects stuff others don't... for example, some detect keyloggers while others can.

Hope it helps

What exactly does this all mean??????????????

My suggestion Al1 is to wait until you truly have a solid idea that will help ppl. before you post. Just posting for the sake of posting makes no sense.

Just my $0.02
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Update them and run them in safe mode.

I would personally not rely on a single anti- spy/adware product
    When you say to run the spyware control software in safe mode, does it really matter that much? I am not contradicting you, I am asking for my own benefit. My computer has been behaving strangely for the past few months (it stops processing anything and freezes for several seconds a few times an hour) but I haven't been truly bothered by it enough to look into anything more than running AdAware/SpyBot (in normal mode). Will running in safe mode generally prove to be more comprehensive?

O/T: I can't seem to remember how to update/remove my mood settings. I can't seme to find it in 'edit profile' so can someone direct me? Thanks.
    -r.p.

big difference between safe mode and normal mode when malware removing.. very few items are running in safemode.. few drivers and some of the simple malware dosent start and there for easier to remove..etc..

best method is "remote scan"that is where another OS scans the HDD.. my pref is BART-PE.. some use knoppix
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr