win2k recovery console question... problem

Thread: win2k recovery console question... problem

Banned

win2k recovery console question... problem

does anyone know if/how can I access "Documents and Settings" folder on the C:\ drive from recovery console

i have a file that i simply cannot delete from my desktop i need to boot off something else and erase the bastard. it was one of those download managers that would download something for you and then disappear, but i canceled the download and the thing won't die...

any related help appriciated

Use a bootable linux disc, knoppix or the like. Or you could use NTFSdos Pro.

Banned
    knoppix cannot write/erase NTFS ... and NTFSdos Pro costs money

any other ideas

BartPE will do what you want...but you have to make the ISO yourself using the PEbuilder.

You say the thing won't die. what exactly does that mean? Have you run spybot, adaware and your AV? Have you checked your running process's to see if there is a new one running?

You've been here long enough to know better about "free software". if you want a good free downloader that will do it's job and then disappear use wget. put it in your download folder. write a bat file with a name like 'download.bat' that will CD to that folder run wget and pass an argument to it"

download.bat
    ----------------------------------
    cd <path to folder>
    wget %1
    ----------------------------------

put this in system32

copy the link to the download, open the run command. enter "download <paste copyed link>" and enter. it will open a dos box (which you can minimize) that will close when the download is finished. because you're not using a browser all that you will get is the file you wanted.

not really knowing what you want from a download manager, whats the matter with the one in firefox?

After all this i see that i didn't address your question:

'CD C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop' which would be the probable location but you could substitute any user name for 'all users'
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

A simple bootdisk might also do the thing, www.bootdisk.com.

Banned
    Tedob 1... First things first. There’s nothing wrong w/ firefox download manager besides the fact that it cannot resume broken downloads and schedule. I am on dial-up and like to schedule big downloads at night. They don't finish in one night, therefore I use download manager that nihil recommended (god bless his soul) and it's great.

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

That being said... in this particular instance it wasn't the manager above. I’ll give you an example. When you install windows express SP you download a little executable, which will check what you need and then download it. In this case it was something similar. Little exec, which will download a full version of a game but, won't stay resident after, like a full-fledged download manger would. It’s only used for proprietary downloads. I killed the download and now I cannot erase it.

It gives me the typical "it's being used by something" blablabla error msg., but here's the problem.

1. It’s not running in processes
    2. There are no unknow/misterious/extra processes running on my system (I keep it very tight)
    3. I used "handle" utility from systeminternals that said there are 2 handles from explorer.exe process for that particular file... I deleted them.
    4. I cannot kill explorer.exe and then erase the file for obvious reasons
    5. I did all this in safe mode

.... Won’t budge. My conclusion is that I need a maintenance OS boot that has write/erase access to NTFS partition and then erase. Bart only works for XP and 2003 from what I understand therefore useless in my case. I have 2000.

Since I sense little condescending tone, just know, I am not a total newbie to this. I do know how to use the "cd" command. It's just that recovery console won't let you change into that directory. I wouldn't be asking if I didn't run out of options.

Banned
    oh and gentilegenita ... i have a boot CD but the recovery console won't let me go to the Desktop where the ****er resides.

Developer Extraordinar
    Heh, let's pick this up where it left off on IRC. I found two bootable Linux distro with read/write NTFS support, one is INSERT at http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html and the other is Trinity Rescue Kit, http://trinityhome.org/trk/ either should help you out.
    Come to UnError.com