Thread: Connection from unknown IRC server

Connection from unknown IRC server

Well, I am writing this on behalf of my friend whose computer has gone bust. For a few days, he noticed that whenever he disconnected from the net a message popped up saying that a connection was requested by "irc.hoodchat.org " and requested him to again dial his connection. After that, when he tried to start his computer he wasn't able to boot into Windows and was presented with the Blue screen of death. Will he have to format and reinstall Windows?

By the way, I also have a problem. My firewall alerts me that some IP address is trying to access my POP3, SMTP and back orifice port. I don't host any mail server. What is it?

both are virii most likely. for your friend, Id have him boot into "last known good configuration" and run a viris scan. or try safemode if you perfer, but generally LKG is better for this stuff.

for you, as long as your firewall is catching it dont worry. Your firewall is working...be happy. port scans are about as common as oxygen.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Just Another Geek

Re: Connection from unknown IRC server

Originally posted here by pi><boy
    [B]Well, I am writing this on behalf of my friend whose computer has gone bust. For a few days, he noticed that whenever he disconnected from the net a message popped up saying that a connection was requested by "irc.hoodchat.org " and requested him to again dial his connection. After that, when he tried to start his computer he wasn't able to boot into Windows and was presented with the Blue screen of death. Will he have to format and reinstall Windows?
    Sounds like he got some bot running.. What version of windows? Can he boot to safe mode?

By the way, I also have a problem. My firewall alerts me that some IP address is trying to access my POP3, SMTP and back orifice port. I don't host any mail server. What is it?
    Internet noise. It's probably some scriptkiddie or a piece of malware scanning the net. As long as your firewall is blocking them don't worry about it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.