Thread: How? Accessing Safe Mode Without a Keyboard

How? Accessing Safe Mode Without a Keyboard

I am wanting to get into Safe Mode to run a few spyware detectors, but I can't seem to access it. I hold down Ctrl to get to the menu, but I am unable to press 3 (for Safe Mode) or use the arrow keys to scroll down to it. It is as if my keyboard ceases to function at that point, even though my computer is obviously recognizing the Ctrl key. My question is: Can I get to safe mode another way? Thanks.

P.S. - I wasn't sure if this is where a thread like this would go. It was between this and the General Computing and I figured this section would be better for a quick response and then it can drop off.
    -r.p.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    What OS ?

Windows is generally F8 [tap it repeatedly until it gives up the menu screen]

Or are you saying that once IN the screen, that you are unable to activate the link to safe mode ?

Just add the details please.........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Windows 98 SE

I have no trouble getting to the screen where it gives you the choice of Safe Mode, along with Normal, Safe Mode w/ Log, etc. I just can't choose the Safe Mode option. Since the default setting is 1/Normal Mode, when the 30 seconds are up to choose it just takes me to the Normal setting.

I am guessing that F8 and Ctrl will have the same effect.
    -r.p.

Hmmm,

1. Try going into setup (BIOS) and make sure that the numbers lock is checked (numlock) Then try using the numeric keypad to hit "3" I presume that you have tried the £/3 on the top row?

2. When it is booting and just as it is loading windows, cut the power (switch it off). Then power back on...............you should get a message "Windows did not start properly the last time........" and it takes you into safe mode automatically.

I think you might be thinking of the upper shift key.............in WinME if you hold this down throughout the boot process it automatically takes you into safe mode without displaying the selection screen. I am not sure if that works in Win98SE, I suspect not.

Cheers

Is it a USB keyboard?

Hi zENGER ,

I think I see where you are coming from. A USB device won't work in safe mode. However he can get to the selection screen (so the keyboard must have been working then) but cannot select safe mode.

Sorta, I was thinking the arrow keys on a USB keyboard might not work prior to the OS starting. Food for thought if nothing else :P

Haha, it seems you guessed right zENGER. I am infact using a Compaq USB keyboard.

I want to try the method of hitting the power while Windows is loading, but you say that USB devices won't work during Safe Mode.. oh.. I have a mouse.. . I'll try that out then. Thanks.
    -r.p.

Hi, Raccoon

It has been my experience that the USB drivers are not loaded when running Win9x/ME in safe mode. I am not sure about the keyboard, but certainly I have to use a PS2 or serial mouse on this box (WinME).

Actually, once you are in safe mode I think that the mouse is all that you will need.

Actually, I have a couple of serial mice for troubleshooting purposes, they only cost a couple of bucks these days

Oh! what I really meant to post.............you may have to try the power off several times to get it to work. If your box has one of those anti-kids & cats I/O buttons (like about a ten second delay) you may have to kill it at the wall.

Cheers