Thread: hi... Window IDS question....

hi... Window IDS question....

hi... i would like that know that issit develop a window Intrusion system are more tough then develop for the unix intrusion detection system.. if i want to develop for the window intrusion detection system, where and what website should i refer to.. thx for helping me.. i really like to know.. thx...

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Snort works perfectly well on Win32... Why re-invent the wheel? Contribute to the open source project if you wish.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

i really dont think it's more difficult under win32. both require third party software. *nix requires libpcap which comes bundled with it but was developed seperatly and win32 requires winpcap which is not bundled with it.

here's the developers page: http://freshmeat.net/projects/snort/.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

oic.. then beside http://www.winsnort.com/ ... is the any others website that can teach more bout the win Intrusion detection system and example programming for it.. cos i want to know more bout it.. thx...

Just Another Geek
    Most (N)IDS systems basicly work the same. It doesn't really matter if it runs on Windows or *nix.
    You just need to put your network card in promiscuous mode, sniff the traffic and analyze it.
    Only the sniffing part is platform dependend. Analyzing the traffic should work the same on any OS.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

someone closed my yahoo messenger account,now i cannot log into yaho messenger,does anyone know how i can activate my ID again,without going through sending e-mails to yahoo support,cuzz they dont help at all,thanks

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by rowddman
    someone closed my yahoo messenger account,now i cannot log into yaho messenger,does anyone know how i can activate my ID again,without going through sending e-mails to yahoo support,cuzz they dont help at all,thanks
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, dude! Where did this come from? Here's a tip: Start a new thread with your question. People are will be a lot more helpful.

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Snort works perfectly well on Win32... Why re-invent the wheel? Contribute to the open source project if you wish.
    Tigershark is to snort what gore is to suse.

And yeah.... what does this have to do with what was said above. You want an ids system to see who did it or make sure they don't do it again. Seams like overkill to me.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?