Thread: Websense

Websense

I posted about this earlier but still need hlep. I realize its against the rules and possibly illegal but I'd still like to try. How can we get through websense? Right now, my friend and I have set up a proxy on my server so that we can view whatever we want while at school. Its currently blocked and filtered by websense as "Uncategorized". Is there anyway we can get it approved by websense or whatever so that we can use our proxy?

I posted about this earlier but still need hlep
    so i take it your first post regarding this didn't go down well - so why do you expect it will be different any other time?

What you dont appriciate is that alot of people you are asking here to help you by-pass the restrictions are people who's job it is to set up such restrictions! They spend their working lives blocking people like you from defeating their polocies - so why when they get home would they suddenly switch and help you beat them?

The restrictions are there for a reason - the computers do not belong to you. Your use of them is a privlage not a right. And by using them then you are agreeing to do so under their rules.

If it is sites related to your course that are blocked speak to class lecturer (teacher) and the IT Admin. Explain why you need to access the site and how it could be of benefit to your class and am sure they would be happy to lift the restrictions.

Now if you're attempting to look at sites that arenothing to do with your course that you know they wont unblock for you - well then you shouldn't be looking at them in school anyways - simply wait until you get home and then you can look at what you want!

v_Ln

The first time I didnt have a proxy setup and I didnt know a lot about it. I now do and would just like to give it another try. The first time I asked, I got help from someone who worked for them. Hopefully he is still here.

In regards to your post, I realize that its against the rules, but Im not going to stop trying simply because you think its a bad idea.

I dont expect you to stop - but you still need to appriciate that you are asking for information from people which goes against everything they do in their working lives.

Your school's admins are not ogres - speak to them about what sites you wish to visit and why. If they are not class related (like flash games or whatever) explain to them that you will only be accessing those sites durring break times etc so is not distracting from your work - am sure they can arrange something.

Currently in college I ahve unrestricted access to whatever site I wish to visit - my traffic does not pass through the filters/checks in place for everyone else. Because I talked to the admin - requested certain sites be unblocked and eventually (after i think i bugged him with that many sites) he just added my name to the same privlaged list as teachers etc so I can access pretty much anything.

But that kind of thing also comes with responsabilities - I am given the access as he knows I wont abuse it - but one slight slip could see you lose that level of trust very quickly

v_Ln