Thread: bridge router to crossover

bridge router to crossover

Does anyone here have experince with bridgeing a wireless network to a crosover cable. I want to know if this is possible, my networking knowledge is limited. Here is the situation.

I currently have three computers and am planing on seting up a web server on the third computer (Computer C). My work/play computer (Computer A) is directly connected to a wireless dlink router via patch cable. Since Computer A has a spare Ethernet Card and I dont have anymore wireless cards, the plan is to take my crossover cable and connect computer A to computer C. To install the web server software on computer C, and then to configure the rotuer so that any inbouund traffic destined for 192.168.0.100:8080 will be redirected to Computer C which I might assign the address 192.168.0.102 perhaps.

The question/problem is can a router redirect traffic to a computer that is not connected to the router, but rather to redirect traffic to computer A via patch cable, with then redirects traffic to computer C via crossover.

I was even trying to figure out if I can use the crossover on the standard Ethernet port on the router and use a software to logicaly switch the send and recieve signals?

I have set up web servers in the past, on my work/play computer, this time the plan is to set the webserver on a computer that if hacked will not realy matter.

Aditionaly, and slightly off topic, is it possible to have one monitor and switch between two computers. Not even sure I will need to do this, i might just pickup a monitor in the trash. Or maybe, I i hook up a monitor, setup the server and cince computer C will rarely be turned off or restarted, I coulc problably disconect the monnitor after setup and reconnect it if I need to restart so I can see what I am doing.
    \"I think Adid just had a heart attack, I tryed to revive him but it was too late!\" - Delta Force Black Hawk Down

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I'm not sure ...............
    I feel that it would drop the packets in the first computer.

but wouldn't it be easier and not too expensive to just get another NIC ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I have plenty of NIC's just not got anymore patch cables otherwize I could just use a patch cable and conect directly to the router.
    \"I think Adid just had a heart attack, I tryed to revive him but it was too late!\" - Delta Force Black Hawk Down

Hey Hey,

How modern are these NICs? Most modern network cards have an auto sense option (not only for line speed) but also for cable type.. I know that every laptop I've dealt with in the last couple of years has had this option, so I'd assume that it's the same for any PCI NIC, however, I know that older ones don't support this option.

As far as your idea to connect the two computers... This would be ICS in Windows...

You'd have to assign Computer C a different IP Address... it's a different network segment and Windows is functioning as a router with ICS turned on, so you'd have to have a different subnet.. (192.168.1.0) would be your network.. You'd have to forward everything from the router to Computer A and then setup Computer A to forward the information on to Computer C.... However, if you're running Windows XP (which doesn't have Routing and Remote Access.. it simply has ICS).. you're not going to want to go with this option... You'd need a Windows Server OS, or a Linux distro on your machine to make it function easily. I'd imagine you'd also run into problems with the double NATing...

So in the end, I'd suggest the second cable...

Peace,
    HT

Even if the NIC can't do it, a lot of routers have an uplink port that has a toggle switch to pick between straight and cross-over. Use this port and flip it to crossover and you can then use your crossover cable to directly connect your Computer C to the switch.

Or you could just go buy or make a new patch cable... it'll cost you ~$5...

Or... ask a buddy. They are a dime a dozen... I have several dozen extras just laying around... not to mention a box of cat5e and the materials to make a new patch cable.

Like my teachers always tell me... (KISS) Keep It Simple Stupid.

I'd imagine you'd also run into problems with the double NATing
    I recently had a problem with that. Turns out our new dsl "modem" from Verizon is also a router/firewall. I had to setup that "modem" to use my router as a "static nat".

Pain in the ass... I don't know how they'd expect home users to figure that out.

Maybe its just what they're counting on... so home users won't be able to figure out why they have ports blocked and can't configure/run any services.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks, well it sounds like ive got some good news, that auto senceing feature you were mentioning, turns out when I checked it out that my router has all 4 ports as autosenceing. I have never heard of this before. Then I must be able to plug the crossover into the rotuer and not wory about any ics or routeing os. Now as for the nics I know one i purchased last year, another was about 2 or 3 years old as it was given to me from a friend who got it from his isp who didnt want it back. The third nic I have no idea where I got it from or when. And a 4th one I got free from some online group called freecycle, shich i believe might be a combo nic and wireless, except its missing the antena.

Im gona try the setup with crossover from rotuter to computer C since ive learned of this special ability my router has

Originally posted here by smu1ck
    Thanks, well it sounds like ive got some good news, that auto senceing feature you were mentioning, turns out when I checked it out that my router has all 4 ports as autosenceing. I have never heard of this before. Then I must be able to plug the crossover into the rotuer and not wory about any ics or routeing os. Now as for the nics I know one i purchased last year, another was about 2 or 3 years old as it was given to me from a friend who got it from his isp who didnt want it back. The third nic I have no idea where I got it from or when. And a 4th one I got free from some online group called freecycle, shich i believe might be a combo nic and wireless, except its missing the antena.

Im gona try the setup with crossover from rotuter to computer C since ive learned of this special ability my router has
    Autosensing generally refers to speed and full/half duplex, but it may in fact autosense cross vs. straight too.

As far as the combo, the BNC connector that I believe you are talking about is not a wireless jack missing an antenna, but actually a jack for a coaxial cable for 10base2 ethernet.

Good luck with your setup and the best case senerio would be to just either purchase or acquire a couple straight cables.

Terific, I just hooked it up with the crossover pluged into the router, and indeed these autosenceing ports auto detect crossover. This is something that I have not ever heard about before, I will have to learn more about it. I just finished installing the web server on the box and was able to det up a DDNS with dyndns.org and the dynamic dns update feature of my router. Computer C automaticaly got the 192.168.0.102 address so i setup a rule to forward trafic from my puclic WAN ip to my internal ip belonging to C and all was well.

Reguard to the combo card, if it is for a coaxle cable does this mean I could use it with a cable provider without any modem. Here are some pictures.

EDIT: Found a code on the card, searched for it and found the actual card, its an AOPEN AON-201 After reading the specs still not sure how I would use this card:

http://global.aopen.com.tw/products/...ard/aon201.htm

Originally posted here by smu1ck
    Reguard to the combo card, if it is for a coaxle cable does this mean I could use it with a cable provider without any modem. Here are some pictures.

EDIT: Found a code on the card, searched for it and found the actual card, its an AOPEN AON-201 After reading the specs still not sure how I would use this card:

http://global.aopen.com.tw/products/...ard/aon201.htm
    Nope. Although they use they same size/type cable, they don't speak the same language so to speak.