Help with telephony

Thread: Help with telephony

Help with telephony

For a lack of a better place to put this....

I am looking for some advice from all the ppl out here in AO land, I have been recently instructed by my boss that if I can learn about our PBX/Avaya switch network that I can get hired on full time by the company I am being contracted to, taking over their telephony.

This would include patching down all network and telephone drops while still providing network support and Telephone support

Current Setup:
    We have 2 avaya switches
    Main Phone Switch is a Definity switch (big SOB)
    Voicemail is a Intuity switch

My boss told me if i can start by learning just basic commands and how to's (ie setup new extensions, move phones, create voicemail accts) that he could get me hired on and then the company would pay for future trainings. Well thats just the thing, i dont even know where to start looking,

I checked out Avaya's website and their learning center didnt really do much other than confuse me. I am hoping someone out here has some experience or may be able to point me to some reading materials or perhaps some tutorials or online courses. I am looking for online classes that would be under $200 US.

Thanks in advance
    -Spy
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

If I remember correctly the classes for definity and audix are $1000 each and are offered in Maryland. None the less, if its the same unit I was administering its a waste of time. Its administered by a dumb terminal attached to the switch and there are about 15 different commands that you can give it. Its been about 10 years since I was working with it so I don't really remember any of the commands, but I do remember that there was more or less a man page for each command. Might look into those.

Spyrus i have the same system. i used to take care of simple tasks like adding and moving extentions but stopped when our network really developed and i didn't have time (hehehe). i'll look to see what kind of info i can get for you. right now my memory fails me i cant recall if its 554 444, Ext num, to remove an extention then 555 444 then Ext num, to place it in its new location, or not but the info has to be added to audix if its new, which isn't hard because of the extensive help menu at each level

do you have the user names and passwords or do they want you to learn compleatly no your own?

ill have some info for you tomorrow.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

i have the user name and passwords to get into the system but from there i am completely lost. I know that if its an existing extension and Im moving it i just have to do 112 password extension to disconnect a previous extention then 111 password extension to reenable it whereever.

But on the actual audix pbx terminal background I dont know how to set names for users and I dont know how to program the phones and such. I am sure with some beginner/basic commands I can learn a lot of it from there just dont know where to even start.

Thanks for the help tedob
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

there are two people that take care of the switch. the one that had training was not there today she'll be in monday. the other guy doesn't know very much at all.

just wanted to let you know i havn't forgotten about you
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Add new user.

make sure numlocks is off.

after logging in enter:

"add extention next"
    fill in telephone information (type, etc)

then save the info by hitting the enter key by the number pad...not the CR.

then you can add a voice mail account.

after logging on type:

"add subscriber <Ext number>"

enter the user info.

save using F3