Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWAP file size keeps on increasing

Guys, here is my 2 cents..might be a shot in the dark ..Ok reformatting it should have taken care of the problem..now.reinstalling your o/s is fine and all the other recomendations are in order especially more ram..you can never have enough..If you don,t have a big hdd drive like 120gig or so to let windows manage the swapfile we stick to at least double your ram which in your case manully set to 256mb swapfile...

Ok my first question is ..since you sit on a network even with your firewall in place , my guess is that you get infected from somewhere on your network..have look at the traffic which you let through on the firewall profiles, and stop them one by one to try and determine which one is giving you the the infection..I can not specificly remember the virus name but i know a friend of mine also got infected and each time you restart and so fourth the file size gets modified up to a point that your drive is filled up or in your case your swapfile size..

hope it helps
    cheers
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

sunday11a
    My av didnot detect any virus. SO could be that it is not in the wild
    The inbound traffic for any port is blocked and is only allowed for those for which an outbound connection has been initiated. Ocassionally i used to check the local network also for shares. Might be i got it in that way.

Hi sun~

Please increase the size of your page file like I suggested.

Also, I would like you to run Xen by Paul Brown (another goddam limey/pom)

It is seriously cool..........my advice is to leave your fonts alone

http://www.x9k.net/

Please let me know how you get on

sunday11a
    The problem was resolved after reinstalling nihil
    And i have increased the size of page file but how will it help me i dont know
    I will see what xen is

Hi Sun~,

Glad to hear that things are looking up The larger page file will help stop crashes..............this machine is a 266Mhz PII with 128 Mb of RAM running WinME, so I know your problems............Win2000 is a much better OS in my opinion.

With this one, I have manually set the Swap (page) file and use Ram Idle Pro as a memory manager (WinME is very bad regarding memory leaks)

Xen is a Windows tuning package, and works very well.

Good luck

The bigger swapfile on the older systems is a must at least double your actual ram, in your case 256.You can go even more if you have a big h/disk, but double is always a good balance..
    You can also setup your sytem to be a network server in system properties which will then allocate more cache ram..I might be wrong nihil you can correct me if i am wrong.All i know is that in the older o/s like 98 you could do that but i am not sure in me or 2000..I am still curious though

cheers
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

Hi,

WinME was the last OS with the network server option. It was really to handle large hard drives more efficiently, but it did increase the cache.

On Win2000 it is:

<System Properties>
    <Advanced>
    <Performance Options>

And then it asks if you want to optimise for applications or background services. I guess background services is the equivalent of server.

EDIT: It sounds rather as if a memory leak could have been taking place?

With a relatively small amount of RAM you need to be sure to only start applications and services when you need them, and close them afterwards.