Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network auditing tools

Talking Network auditing tools

hello everyone,
    I was just wondering that what tools do you people use for network auditing. By this I mean that what different applications do you deploy to gather the information of different equipment ( computers + other equipment with a network interface ) on your network ( both hardware and software). I came across AIDA 32 enterprise and network edition[1] and PSTools suite[2] on sysinternals.

Do not forget to mention the links and your experience with the tool. You can mention both shareware and freeware. This thread would definitly earn me some positive antipoints. Lolz....Besides primary reason for this thread is to share your experiences with a reliable and efficient network auditing tool.

P.S. Soon, I ll be requiring AO valuble input towards drafting my backup and security policy ( i will start a separate thread for this soon )....

[1] http://www.filesclub.com/download/aida32_97972.html
    [2] http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../pstools.shtml

nmap, snort, ethereal... these three come to mind instantly...

This has been done, ommy, time and time again...

/me points ----> http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243892

Ok, that list actually has a bunch of various security related tools, but I'm sure you'll find more than plenty network-auditing tools...

Anyway, if you want some APs, how about compiling your own list of useful network auditing tools (complete w/ a review!??)... *That* would merit some APs, my friend... asking everyone else what they use? Bah... hardly... IMHO, anyway...

It's a nice idea, though...

-Wiski C.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

okie..May be I am not looking for exactly a network auditing tool. I am looking for a tool which could gather the information about computers hardware and softwares on the network. To be more precise, something like AIDA 32 or BeLARC Advisor, i.e. which could give me the ip address, dns information, processor information, memory information, cd rom specs, hard drive specs, network interface type etc. etc. In the software category, I might be requiring the exact version of operating system, what third party softwares are installed on the machine and stuff like this.
    Though, if someone requires to monitor the Windows updates, do i need to mention Microsoft Baseline security analyser?
    Besides, thanks for such prompt reply...

This is a good tool.

LogInventory

ss2chef..FYI...Link is broken

If you're an administrator on the network and don't mind spending a little time setting it up, a Linux Server running Nagios is great for monitoring all kinds of things on a network. The software is free to download from any number of websites

My company uses this software on our network of about 10,000 nodes.

The only disadvantage is the overhead on the setup. you pretty much have to statically assign every individual host or device that you want to monitor so you're probably only going to monitor critical resources.Nagios can monitor disk usage, traffic congestion, just about anything you can think of, plus you can download more scripts or write your own as your needs change.

I guess I should point this out, this software will not help you if you are "probing" or "auditing" someone else's network because you pretty much have to give it all it's information, it's not going to go out and set itself up.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

Originally posted here by ommy
    ?? Works fine when I hit it... hmmmm

Hey Hey,

If you're just looking for something that will give you the details you mentioned (IP, Basic Specs, Interface Specs, etc)....Then you'll have a built in command (assuming you're using Windows XP)... Go to your command prompt and type 'systeminfo'. It's quite the handy little command, it'll include uptime and a number of other things.

Another thing you may want to look into is that I believe Aida32 is no longer in development.. It's now called Everest... you should be able to google it quite easily.

Peace,
    HT

quote:
    Originally posted here by ommy

?? Works fine when I hit it... hmmmm
    Works fine for me as well.. could be a DNS hiccup.. or ISP FU
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi ommy

HTRegz is quite right AIDA32 is now distributed by Lavalys as "Everest"

http://www.lavalys.com/

There is a free home edition version and an enterprise one