Thread: New Kind of Paypal theft?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

New Kind of Paypal theft?

A student was telling me about this one:

-Guy buys car on Ebay using Paypal.

-Hacker/s breaks into guy's Paypal account and and discovers the Ebay transaction .

-Hacker tracks his car's whereabouts and steal it.

-Guy posts his misfortunes on a forum and ask for the public's help in tracking down his car

-Miraculously someone in the forum does spot his car and is returned to the owner.

http://www.ukfiestanetwork.com/index...pic=60906&st=0
    Interesting twist on it. I was wondering at first if the guy that "found" the car may have been the attacker.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Did it mention if any sort of reward changed hands?

Seems a hard way to get some cash if he broke into Paypal anyway. The reward would be 'clean' money I suppose.

I saw that article going a completely different way until I finished it. I am surprised we don't see more of guy sells car, then gets paid, gets seller info and then hacks bank account to empty out whatever else is left.

The joys of having an account directly linked to your bank account and you know a majority of people dont use strong passwords for stuff like paypal
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

any "smart" person that uses paypal has a seperate account set up for it. Mine is linked to the account i have everything auto deduct from (this is a side account that i deposit what is needed into, that way there is no spare cash to steal)
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    this is a side account that i deposit what is needed into, that way there is no spare cash to steal
    Unless my request comes just before your morgage payment? Just a thought.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Unless my request comes just before your morgage payment? Just a thought.....
    all my stuff is deducted on the say date every month. and i have most money being auto transfered the day before from my primary checking account so I just have to go an online transfer if i need more monry there for some reason.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    honestly i dont trust any form of online pay at all. too many wankers out there with skills and who use them maliciously. ill stick to mailing checks/money orders. i know people who have had their credit card # stolen etc (first i remember was from some korean bastards) and they bought 3k+ worth of garbage....like phone cards and other random dumb things. if i was to do the carding thing like they use to do in the mid 90's to buy computers....thats exactly what id do. but its not worth the trouble to get a comp or 2 and face computer fraud/theft charges and get sent to prison for 10 years and get anally abused by bubba

Talking

(first i remember was from some korean bastards) and they bought 3k+ worth of garbage....like phone cards and other random dumb things. if i was to do the carding thing like they use to do in the mid 90's to buy computers. )

Ahhhhh!! The 90's life was just so different, so much easier. We only had to deal with fraud from Easter European countries and some Asian. Now days you have to deal with the biggest threat coming out of western Africa, where their approach is still brute force, but their will to get to merchandize so they can sell it in the black market is amazingly vigorous.
    You can literally sit there and watch the sessions going through your e-commerce site
    As they use hundreds and hundreds of CC numbers. Of course all this information is very helpful when dealing with the banks and fighting off the charge backs. But to me this issue will not go away easy. These guys buy anything from coffee makers to bibles and they buy them from places like target to the mom and pop shop down the street.
    That’s right. As long as the merchants have means to be reached (phone,fax,website) they will use the stolen cards to buy it.