Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good video to show home users about basic security.

Damn you Soda, stealing my wireless connection again are you ?
    O.G at A.O

Hey, I'm the person who did the video.

First off; all the comments with the exception of Tiger Shark are valid. TigerShark, I really, really, REALLY resent your comments; uncalled for and utterly false (I pay $150 rent monthly to live in the home with my parents; I work 80hour weeks in the summer so that I have enough money to afford to go to school. I used a digital camera w/ 30 second movie mode plus a broken tripod to film the movie; not one of them fancy movie cameras.)

Okee. Now that's out of the way. Soda, you're right. I didn't mention Windows Update. But I assumed the audience already knew about it. Which brings me to my next point: who was my audience.

I used to staff at a warez forum. When I was writing the script, I was writing to answer the top 10 questions we received in our support section. That was my audience. As such some basic knowledge was assumed.

But the warez-oriented audience explains why there's a whole section on downloading. On that topic, HTRegz, you made mention of illegal downloading. Its all about one's moral standings. I am of the belief that: music sharing increases sales (as radio and other mediums fail miserably at delivering new bands to users who would otherwise be hesitant at paying for a $30 CD they never heard of before). I am also of the belief that minor software priced at $3,000 wouldnt be purchased yearly by individuals; and that the pricing targets the organisations that can afford buying 10 such products at a time. Likewise, I believe that a game that is utter crap will not be purchased either way. That is my opinion. Share it or not, it forms the basis of my decisions for this show.

The MS Bashing I honestly didn't notice until it was made mention of here. Valid point in retrospect, likewise appreciated. As for MS Anti-spyware; I still stand by my points, and not just based on the results that were aired. IE got an annoying spyware ad; MS Antispy didnt catch it. Just many stories of the like. As for the insertion of commercials it was for humour. Ahh yes. Humour. Keep interest. Target audience was a young crowd; some enjoy such humour, some don't. I assumed that the audience that I was targetting this for would.

Is this video biased? Damn straight. I never pretend otherwise. I expresses my viewpoint on issues. For one, its done to simplify many complex situations.

Ultimately the moral is that no one is forced to watch or enjoy the video. If you didnt enjoy it, so be it. If you did, great. This is my only comment on the video; lest anyone say anything which absolutely requires me to reply.

However, I do appreciate all your honesty. Except again for Tigershark, which was more along the lines of trolling.

if anyone has the video and is willing to upload it onto my ftp that would be great - looks like Seal has hit his transfer limit (its denying downloads)

PM me for ftp details - ta

v_Ln

It's still working for me. The script is designed to cutoff downloads at the 350 mark; we're still at 209. I'll PM you the direct link however.

Seal: I watched the rest of your video. You showed the home user a lot more than I think they can understand... I've been in this field a while now... I've come to the conclusion that the end user is an idiot and trying to educate them is useless. They simply don't care. I know from experience.

Otherwise... a lot of your info was perfectly valid. I just found your video to be biased. When I'm "learning", I want info from both sides. But then again... I never read just one source. I get multiple opinions.

You skated through every topic so quickly that if I didn't already know about what you were talking about... I'd be lost. You should have broken it up into several different videos. You covered too many topics and didn't spend enough time on any of them. To us... it all makes perfect sense... but to "them"... its Greek.

I understand what audience you were targeting... and thats why I say what I said. I work with end users all the time. They simply don't care or don't understand. The ones that do care need it spelled out for them.

Talk to irongeek. Together... you two could make some kickass video tutorials.

Best of luck to you.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Irongeek also makes tutorial videos? Are they available for download?
    -r.p.

Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by Seal
    Hey, I'm the person who did the video.

First off; all the comments with the exception of Tiger Shark are valid. TigerShark, I really, really, REALLY resent your comments; uncalled for and utterly false (I pay $150 rent monthly to live in the home with my parents; I work 80hour weeks in the summer so that I have enough money to afford to go to school. I used a digital camera w/ 30 second movie mode plus a broken tripod to film the movie; not one of them fancy movie cameras.)
    Wow??? A Whooping $150/month?? How do you afford it.... Do you pay for food and utilities on top of that?? You must be pretty hard up.. As for 80 hour weeks.... Do you want some pity? You aren't going to find any of that here... especially when you look at some of your other comments in the future... You do that for 4 months.... must be hard... My roommate works 70-75 Hours a week all year round.... and that's not counting lunch hours... something most people tend to add in when they calculate a work day... But help yourself to a cookie... you've earned it.
    Okee. Now that's out of the way. Soda, you're right. I didn't mention Windows Update. But I assumed the audience already knew about it. Which brings me to my next point: who was my audience.
    Your audience would know about Windows Update... but not SpyBot and AdAware??? I find that hard to believe.... Considering who you mention your target audience to be. Last time I checked crack sites are riddled with viruses and malware.

I used to staff at a warez forum. When I was writing the script, I was writing to answer the top 10 questions we received in our support section. That was my audience. As such some basic knowledge was assumed.
    Walking around advertising you work with a warez site?? It's not something to be proud of.

But the warez-oriented audience explains why there's a whole section on downloading. On that topic, HTRegz, you made mention of illegal downloading. Its all about one's moral standings. I am of the belief that: music sharing increases sales (as radio and other mediums fail miserably at delivering new bands to users who would otherwise be hesitant at paying for a $30 CD they never heard of before). I am also of the belief that minor software priced at $3,000 wouldnt be purchased yearly by individuals; and that the pricing targets the organisations that can afford buying 10 such products at a time. Likewise, I believe that a game that is utter crap will not be purchased either way. That is my opinion. Share it or not, it forms the basis of my decisions for this show.
    Where do you buy your CDs that you pay $30??? Minor software priced at 3000 wouldn't be purchased yearly??? That doesn't make any sense.... Pay for the software or don't use it.... I've yet to see a $3000 product that the home user would require.. As for games, that's the worst philosophy I've ever heard.. You at least could have come up with a better excuse for it... It's also not about morals, but about the law... I'm pretty sure that the RIAA or MPAA or a number of other groups would be interested to see your video... and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like the results... Piracy is illegal plain and simple. Your video could get you some fun court time if people really wanted to be *****s about it... Doesn't sound like the brightest thing you could be doing.

The MS Bashing I honestly didn't notice until it was made mention of here. Valid point in retrospect, likewise appreciated. As for MS Anti-spyware; I still stand by my points, and not just based on the results that were aired. IE got an annoying spyware ad; MS Antispy didnt catch it. Just many stories of the like. As for the insertion of commercials it was for humour. Ahh yes. Humour. Keep interest. Target audience was a young crowd; some enjoy such humour, some don't. I assumed that the audience that I was targetting this for would.
    You had something that AntiSpyware didn't find and that was your basis?? Like I said your 'on air' points about AntiSpyware weren't relevent and you're excuse about it missing something is even worse.... You admitted that Spybot and AdAware were only 80% effective... yet you gave them kudos... This post was the worst thing you could have done... I'm losing more respect for you and your video... Now that I think about it the whole 80% effective + 80% effective = 100% effective that you advertised was dead wrong... Perhaps you should go do some research next time before you spout random unwarrented opinions.

Is this video biased? Damn straight. I never pretend otherwise. I expresses my viewpoint on issues. For one, its done to simplify many complex situations.

Ultimately the moral is that no one is forced to watch or enjoy the video. If you didnt enjoy it, so be it. If you did, great. This is my only comment on the video; lest anyone say anything which absolutely requires me to reply.

However, I do appreciate all your honesty. Except again for Tigershark, which was more along the lines of trolling.
    No one was forced to watch it... but you dimished the initial point of your video... and now with this post you've sucken to an even lower level... As for TigerSharks words... while harsh.. there's a lot of honesty in them...

When I started the video I had some respect for you... Here was a guy trying to make things easier and better for the end user.... I was wrong... You're some snot-nosed, spoiled little geek. It's a good thing it's 3am and I have insomnia... otherwise I'd be mad at myself for replying to your post.

Peace,
    HT

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    ROFLMAO.... Seal.... Trolling.... for what.... Sure as hell didn't expect to find you here....

Despite you protestations about how hard you work I stand by my comments. To reiterate and to demonstrate how little credibility you still maintain:-

1. I D/Led it in good faith to see if it could be of use to my users.
    2. I watched the first ten minutes and was bored and confused.
    3. As presented the information has a very limited audience.
    4. I pointed out that not watching all of it might have been a mistake, but point 2 above is salient here
    5. I said you think you know something which others here, (who's judgement I trust), seem to agree you don't after watching the entire thing.

You appreciate honesty except when it is direct, to the point and contradicts your opinion of your own work.... Then it's a troll? Son, you need to grow up a little, I might be your boss one day in the not too distant future, then you'll experience the honesty first hand. It's not any prettier.

Now, take Phish's advice and talk to Iron. I have trust and respect for both. Iron knows his stuff and when he doesn't he researches it thoroughly before presenting it to others. The combination of his knowledge and presentation skills coupled with your ability to cut together video etc. might come up with something I was hoping your video was in the first place. If you do I might be prepared to pay for it.... But ethically you probably wouldn't want me to, would you?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Wow??? A Whooping $150/month?? How do you afford it.... Do you pay for food and utilities on top of that?? You must be pretty hard up.. As for 80 hour weeks.... Do you want some pity? You aren't going to find any of that here... especially when you look at some of your other comments in the future... You do that for 4 months.... must be hard... My roommate works 70-75 Hours a week all year round.... and that's not counting lunch hours... something most people tend to add in when they calculate a work day... But help yourself to a cookie... you've earned it.

Did I ever say its a "whopping" $150? No, but it does mean that I'm not some kind of richkid that gets tons of money from my parents as Tigershark implied. It was to debunk that comment. No need for immature sarcasm on your part. I did it for 4 months true. The rest was 30 hours + full time school. No, I don't expect a cookie; likewise to debunk that theory. Or am I to be compared to your friend all the time?

Your audience would know about Windows Update... but not SpyBot and AdAware??? I find that hard to believe.... Considering who you mention your target audience to be. Last time I checked crack sites are riddled with viruses and malware.
    Not the good ones.

Walking around advertising you work with a warez site?? It's not something to be proud of.
    Did I ever say I was proud?

Where do you buy your CDs that you pay $30??? Minor software priced at 3000 wouldn't be purchased yearly??? That doesn't make any sense.... Pay for the software or don't use it.... I've yet to see a $3000 product that the home user would require.. As for games, that's the worst philosophy I've ever heard.. You at least could have come up with a better excuse for it... It's also not about morals, but about the law... I'm pretty sure that the RIAA or MPAA or a number of other groups would be interested to see your video... and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like the results... Piracy is illegal plain and simple. Your video could get you some fun court time if people really wanted to be *****s about it... Doesn't sound like the brightest thing you could be doing.
    As I said all entitled to your opinions. But thanks to piracy I've bought more DVDs and CDs of music than ever before because its given me a chance to listen to new bands and form opinions. Rather than not purchase a CD because I can't tell if a band is good or not beforehand. And with sites like Magnatune.com I don't even need to download the music: they stream it so that I can taste-test it beforehand. That's how I ended up buying Falik's CD (the artist for the background music). Until the CRIA understands how to properly implement a proper platform, I have no qualms with my activities, esp. if they get more money out of it. Based on pure law, I believe the supreme court passed a ruling stating that downloding was legal. [I live in Canada]

You had something that AntiSpyware didn't find and that was your basis?? Like I said your 'on air' points about AntiSpyware weren't relevent and you're excuse about it missing something is even worse.... You admitted that Spybot and AdAware were only 80% effective... yet you gave them kudos... This post was the worst thing you could have done... I'm losing more respect for you and your video... Now that I think about it the whole 80% effective + 80% effective = 100% effective that you advertised was dead wrong... Perhaps you should go do some research next time before you spout random unwarrented opinions.

No one was forced to watch it... but you dimished the initial point of your video... and now with this post you've sucken to an even lower level... As for TigerSharks words... while harsh.. there's a lot of honesty in them...

When I started the video I had some respect for you... Here was a guy trying to make things easier and better for the end user.... I was wrong... You're some snot-nosed, spoiled little geek. It's a good thing it's 3am and I have insomnia... otherwise I'd be mad at myself for replying to your post.

Peace,
    HT
    Loosing respect for me huh. Given from what I've read from you so far (mostly along the lines of immature commentary), I'd say that that's a good thing. Maybe if you grow up beyond the lines of a 5 year old mentality and refrain from posting banter every other line I'd find that "lack of respect" more poignant.