Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good video to show home users about basic security.

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Good video to show home users about basic security.

Julien McArdle had come up with a great video showing home users some basics that can keep them more secure online. Good Stuff:

http://www.jmcardle.com/eynto.php

/edit:Ok, it does have it's faults, I did not finish it all before posting the link. Still, for some non-tech folks I think it's a pretty good intro.

Holy crap. That thing is huge. You'd think that more people hosting this type of thing would offer it in a torrent. Faster downloads with the more people downloading and saves a TON of bandwidth...

maybe they think that home users won't be able to use a torrent... but what better time to teach them? they could still offer their download AND a torrent... I'm sure some people would know what to do with it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Disregard the torrent....

I downloaded it in good faith to see if it could be cut to CD and lent to the users who were interested.....

After watching the first 10 minutes I was more bored, confused and pissed off about silly little boys trying to tell me about how to "secure" my computer I killed it.....

That might be a wonderful way to make the MTV watchers of this world to "secure" their computer.... But it reaches about 1% of this world...

Mrs. McCardle's "little boy" is far from credible... I didn't watch far enough into it to determine if he actually can come up with effective methods that people can understand.... Maybe that's my mistake... But 10 minutes of 60 is a good sample....

It's rubbish that only the MTV kids might watch.... But will they remember anything _important_ that was said, (assuming anything important _was_ said).

My analysis:

It's a bullshit little kid that thinks he knows something that has too much money, (from his parents), to be able to buy the tools required to make a rubbish video about computer security, all the while hoping that someone, anyone, will take him seriously...

Those who do..... Beware.... You are trusting an idiot.......

Was I clear?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I thought it was pretty good for an amateur effort. Non-tech college kids wanting to secure the computer/network a their dorm or apartment would be more likely to watch a video than read a tutorial unfortunately. Was there something specific you did not like about the content TS? I know it’s not geared towards you (or many here on AO), but I could see how some of the kids on my campus might have use for some of the material.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I watched the video from start to finish. In my own opionion the video seems to bash microsoft products a lot like Internet Explorer and Outlook express. Also I know what tiger shark means by boring. For low budget movies that takes the cake. But I do give credit were credit is due. The kid did a decent job and I can see where NOVICE users would really be interrested in this.

Uh... He's recommending a software firewall over a hardware firewall.
    Thats crazy! He said that hardware firewalls can't block outgoing traffic... ROFL

Not to mention that he called a linksys router a "firewall"... When I think of hardware firewall I think of Cisco Pix or Checkpoint... Not some NAT Router that is so inflexible.

I guess I have to keep the home user in mind... not like they're going to buy some $500-2000 hardware device to protect a couple of PCs... unless they're crazy like me.

IMO, hardware and software firewalls should be used together. I think one of the good things about software firewalls are they can block application specific traffic. Well.. sometimes. This article will make you think twice about software firewalls.
    http://securityfocus.com/infocus/1831

I had to stop the video. I'll put it off for a rainy day. Well... maybe one of those days where I'm too sick to do anything...

Annoying video.

Irongeek... you could have made this video 1000 times better without misinformation. You research... this guy doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. His opinions/information is biased...

They say first impressions are everything. Not a very good first impression.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Hey,

I've yet to watch the video.. (it's downloading right now... at 600kB/s i might add (we just had our cap raised))....

But phish mentioned a torrent... if you visit the homepage.. There are actually two download links and a torrent http://www.jmcardle.com/wordpress/ -- Torrent.

While I see where all of you come from.... from what I'm hearing, it sounds, like IronGeek says, like a good video for residence students....

CN22: To the average end user IE and OE are knowing to be the cause of a lot of their problems... They tend to blame the software.... Maybe this is there way of speaking to their intended audience, instead of over their heads (which would be a waste of time because people would stop paying attention)....

Phish: I can see where the hardware firewall is coming from... again from a home users point of view... the linksys router that you have is a hardware firewall and compared to that linksys... a software firewall is better....

I'll give feedback when I watch the video (now that it's finished downloading)..

Peace,
    HT

Hey Hey,

I just watched the first half of the video.. and I must say I was fairly impressed... My roommate (who works for a computer security company) said that the author would have no problem finding a job upon graduation.... and I would have agreed.... I was actually considering taking it into my boss and making arrangements to have it shown to incoming residence students.... it's basically exactly what they need to see... It's not 100% accurate, but it covers the information as it's relevent to the end user... Then I started seeing problems..

The MS Bashing is definately evident. I agree that IE (prior to SP2) shouldn't be used for daily browsing.. and even with SP2 it's dicey at times... however he fails to mention that with SP2 comes a pop-up blocker in the new version of IE.... I also agree about OE... I think it's a useless POS and agree that Thunderbird is much better to use in that regards... however I prefer the Outlook 2003 for email purposes... The big problem came when he got into malware... he based MS AntiSpyware and misrepresented it... It's amazing software that finds more than it should... but like a discussion in another thread.. VNC could be used as a trojan (his argument on the bottom of the screen was that VNC is not malicious software).. it it could be... and on an end users machine, it probably is... AntiSpyware is used quite frequently at work and it is definately a handy piece of software to have in your aresenal.

From there he goes downhill... This once nicely done amateur video that would have made a decent addition to any portfolio because pure garbage... The insertion of the first "commercial" which has references to fellatio was very inappropriate... Then he goes into downloading illegal files and the best way to find them... This was where I stopped watching... in the beginning he also said that he'd cover how to install cracked games... I'm not sure who he was trying to impress, but it definately wasn't me.... It was definately a let down in the end..... If he cut it at 30 minutes and removed the commercials and modified his MS AntiSpyware blurb... and maybe laid off IE/OE a little more then he'd have himself a great lil show for the end user.... something he could prolly sell to the local cable station and something that would definately be used in colleges and university residences for user training..

Anyways... that's my two cents..

Peace,
    HT

I skimmed through it. Kind of embarrasing to watch a kid videotape himself. Not a big deal, if he gets a kick out of it then more power to him.

Like I said, I skimmed through it. I didn't see any mention of visiting Windows Update. If there's one thing I have to tell someone about security, it's to update. Please tell me he mentioned something about it.

btw, I figured I'd show this off while I have it for the next few weeks. Then it's gone for the summer.

Originally posted here by Soda_Popinsky

btw, I figured I'd show this off while I have it for the next few weeks. Then it's gone for the summer.
    Wow.. ! What kinda line are you using?! Show-off! :P