Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how could someone possibly hack into my yahoomail acount if i have a password

how could someone possibly hack into my yahoomail acount if i have a password

how some1 hack my account without my personal info

Hoopy Frood
    Define "personal info".

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Welcome to 'AO'.

Now if you would just read the faq's and use the search function, you would have found your answer in numerous places.

The cheap answer is 'by guessing or social engineering your password'. You are probably using a word or name for a password, and even your secrate question could be a hint to what that word/name might be.

If perhaps it is more involved or complicated than that......we would need much more information to even be able to make a few guesses, and that is also covered by some of the faq's and certainly in some of the stickies.

Read awhile, and then if you still have some questions, come back and post again more intellegently.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Banned
    The days of people claiming to hack Yahoo! Mail or Hotmail or whatever mailserver are over. Mailservers nowadays are well protected and many precautions have been taken to prevent idiots from trying commonly known brute force tactics, etc.

But I defer. How can someone get into you mail account? Well there's a lot of ways.

Say you log into a mailserver using computer A and choose the keep me logged in option. This would drop a cookie onto your computer that would tell the mailserver that you're logged in. Now an ******* could go yank that file off computer A and drop into his cookies folder on computer B and _possibly_ trick the server into thinking that he's you.

Another way could be a man in the middle attack. Intercepting data that you're sending out from your PC to the mailserver, and then intercepting any data sent back. This would produce clear text of any passwords you're sending out to a mailserver and bascially give the ******* an open door.

Also there's backdoors, worms, etc. Anything that could give an ******* a log of what you type on your computer is basically a wide open door.

Hell, let's even say that you like to surf hidden from the world so you use a proxy server. If the owner of that proxy server starts capturing packets and analyzing them, he can get everything form you. Obsurity doesn't always mean security.

And at even further grasp, someone could even try scamming you for your passwords. Phone calls claiming to be from your mail provider should always be questioned just like if someone calls and asks for your social security number or credit card number. Or pop ups from sites telling you to enter your e-mail address and password to win money. **** like that doesn't happen in real life. Nothing is free, don't fall for it.

Without personal information, there's still a shitload of ways of screwing you over. Don't think that people claiming to have broken into Yahoo! or Hotmail mailservers, have actually done so. Normally exploiting the already exploited is all that's happened.

Breaking into someone's email can get done with one of the following ways:

[list=1][*]Entering a password in a computer that has a {Local}key logger installed on it ....[*]Using an extremely easy password like, your name, your family name, your phone number ..[*]Shoulder surfing .....Shoulder-surfers. they can catch your email {EASY} password imediately .... they might be your friends though .....[*]Remote key logger ....[*]Chosing an easy-to-guess secuirty question ..... In this case, your frineds are the suspected party.[/list=1]

Remember that the other side always looks for the low-hanged fruit first ..... Don't give them the chance to get in .....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

I know a simple malicious script, it's particularly used on a fleeceable victim using firefox computing on Admin. *** no holds barred on the SUE line

Have had this happen to several people I know and almost always its been one of the three (in order of decreasing liklihood):

1) Weak username/password combination (NEVER use common words as a password, they are trivial to crack)
    2) Trojan/malware
    3) Sniffing the network traffic to obtain the username/password. Most common way has been via un-encrypted wireless network connections, which are quite common...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Assuming you know even the most basic information about teh person. Just ****in hit the "I lost my password" link.

It ain't that hard. It ain't that secure.

Sounds like someone is phishing to me.

Hmm..

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Still hard to believe that Addict member is poping up an old thread to say that the thread poster is phishing, PHISHING? .....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster