Thread: MIME type for ISO

MIME type for ISO

I have setup a web server, in which I have a password protected directory for files. I need to know what MIME type to add to my server configuration for ISO (Disk image files)

Update: I found finaly that some people use application/octet-stream for iso, so I tryed this and although it seems to work at first, the filesize ends up being difernt.

The iso i created holds my mp3 files I will be burning onto dvd. The actual filesize is reported to be 4,753,848,320 bytes inside Windows Explorer. However the file when downloaded from the server is only 458,881,024

I thought this might be a limitation on the server, but i tryed other web server packages and the same results, might this be a problem with octet-stream?
    \"I think Adid just had a heart attack, I tryed to revive him but it was too late!\" - Delta Force Black Hawk Down

Just Another Geek

Re: MIME type for ISO

Originally posted here by smu1ck
    The iso i created holds my mp3 files I will be burning onto dvd. The actual filesize is reported to be 4,753,848,320 bytes inside Windows Explorer. However the file when downloaded from the server is only 458,881,024
    Sounds like it's being cut off. Connection being dropped or something like it. Time-out maybe?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Try "application/x-unknown" if you want to force the browser to prompt/download it. IIRC most people use that when they either don't know the MIME type or want to force a download.

BTW, how are you downloading it? Do you have a script uploading it, or do you just let the web server do its thing? (And which web server? Apache?) Anything in the error logs that is helpful?

I haven't had problems letting Apache manage itself on the extensions/MIMEs (they usually use an application/x-unknown for unknown extensions IIRC), but the largest file I've transfered was about 358MB. No idea if 4.7GB is too much in a single file though...

Sory for the delayed responce, I will give application/x-unknown a try and see what hapens.
    Will post update within day or so, might even setup a public login and alow you to see what I mean. Maybe ill get to it today after a game of chess.

Anything is possible but I dont think timeout, the reason being that it is not the filesize after downloading but rather the filesize reported in the directory listing on the server. There is no upload script, the server runs on a box in the corner of my room, I transfer the file from my work computer to the server via shared folder. After this transfer, exporer and my computer on the server machine report the filesize to be corect. It is only when you bring up the website and get the directory listing that the filesize is in corect. Tryed two server packages.

This unkown mime type i hope will do the trick so we will see.
    \"I think Adid just had a heart attack, I tryed to revive him but it was too late!\" - Delta Force Black Hawk Down

Just Another Geek
    Are you sure the webdirectory is showing the filesize in bytes? Not KB or MB?

So the file you download from the website is the exact same (byte) size as the original? It's just not reported correctly in the webdirectory?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Here i set my server up for you to see, use the following link

http://smu1ck.dyndns.org/example/

login with

user: pub
    pass: fx983emn

If the above gives you a problem, wait till it turns into http://smu1ck.dyndns.org:8088/example/ and then delete the :8088
    Then try again, no idea why this is hapening.

Im prity sure the directory listing is refering to bytes, and indeed windows explorer on the server reports a totaly difernt byte count. The size displayed in directory listing is not corect, and the file you download is also not corect.

EDIT: Forgot to mention i just setup Report Magic and analog to analize my server log, i set log to debug so it shows me everything, the report indicates nothing out of the norm.