Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPN through Linksys router

VPN through Linksys router

Hi all,

I am trying to connect to my office's VPN from my home. I have got a Linksys Wireless router with a DSL connection. Whenever I try to connect using the VPN client and a laptop with a wireless connection I get no response. There is an outgoing request on my router's log to the correct VPN IP and port. My sysadmin at my office tells me that this request is received and then a response is sent to me. This response is not recieved by me.

I connected my laptop directly to my DSL modem and there was no problem connecting to the VPN this way.

I tried to setup port forwarding in my router, specifying to direct VPN traffic from the correct IP and port to the correct IP address in my LAN. This did not work.

What else can I try? Are there any known issues between VPN's and Linksys routers?

Any help on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Laptop running WinXP pro with a Linksys wireless card.

Cheers,

J

You need to tell us what kind of vpn it is: PPTP? IPSec? IPSec w/ Nat-T? SSL?
    If you don't know exactly, tell us how you connect/which vpn client you use...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Exclamation

What does your owner's manual say?
    Does the router support VPN pass-through?
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

There is a setting on most linksys routers to allow vpn passthrough. It's usually on the same page as pptp passthrough and "ignore anonymous internet requests". Uncheck all of those. That shold do it. Being pingable is actually a good thing when troubleshooting.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned
    Check your settings again. I don't know if we have the same router but on mine the menu for VPN looks like this:

On your VPN client, do you provide it your IP? If its trying to connect to a VPN device with its non-routable IP, the VPN device won't know how to respond.

I do not know of any glaring errors that have to do with Linksys and VPN.

If you've exhausted all other options you can take the port forwarding a step further and just place your machine on the DMZ to allow all traffic on all ports to it. I would not advise leaving it on here long unless you have a firewall configured on your laptop.

Also you mentioned that this is the wireless connection. Do you have any way to test the wired connection through the router to verify that that is really the problem? You could hardwire the laptop if possible or try to connect to VPN through a desktop at home. (this will let you know that the router is not the problem, well on the hardwired side of it anyways)
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

Hi all,

The VPN client I am using is: Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient

I have checked my router and Multicast, IpSec and PPTP, Pass Through are all enabled but it still doesn't work. There's another option that says "Block WAN Requests". Should this be enabled or disabled? What's it for?

My router is older and doesn't have any VPN specific menu.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Cheers

I had this same issue with my Dlink router. Open the Secureclient and click on tools/Advanced IKE Settings. Besure Force UDP encapsulation & Support IKE over TCP is checked. Stop and restart the SecureClient.

I hope this helps!

Did you check the linksys site to see if there are any upgrades for your router?
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn