Thread: Problems in XP W/SP2

Problems in XP W/SP2

Im having some problems with a computer running XP home. Here are the specs..

333 MHz FSB: AMD Sempron-2200+, 1.5 GHz, 256KB____
    333 MHz FSB: PCChipS 825G, KM266Pro, w/Video, Audio, LAN____
    Socket 462: AMD Approved High Output Heatksink and Fan____
    PC-2700: 512 MB DDR / 333 MHz____
    1.44MB Floppy Drive____
    IDE: WD 40GB 7200RPM, ATA100____
    CDROM: 52x CD ROM Internal, IDE____
    32 MB Integrated Shared VGA Port
    32-Bit 3D/Surround Sound____
    100/10 BaseT Ethernet Port____
    Beige: ATX, Mid Tower, ( 4 Full / 6 Half Drive Bays )____
    PS 300W: Approved 300 Watts XP / P4 Power Supply____
    Windows XP Home w/Microsoft Original CD Package____

The problem is that it has an issue with freezing and locking up while a program is running. I've tried reformatting it, and even tried a different OS. I made sure that it is set up correctly, and even checked for a bios update. Im stumped here fellows....Any suggestions?

TheRouter
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

AOs Resident Troll
    Does the same problem happen with the other oses?

Could be overheating?? Freeze ups happen with an overheated cpu? Are all the fans running?

Could be bad memory?

If all these things happen with a fresh install...and other oses...then it is a hardware issue.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well,

If it isn't overheating or the memory I would go for the power supply (it is a bit weak) or the motherboard. I am not a fan of PC Chips boards.

I would certainly check the temperatures you are getting, as I will never use the heatsink/fans that AMD supply with their processors. And I never use the white gunk they supply as thermal compound..................always use silver

You might try running it with the case off and a domestic fan running over it. Just see if it lasts longer.............that would confirm a temperature problem.

Good luck

AOs Resident Troll
    Could also be a failing harddrive...Have seen freeze up when trying to write.

MLF

Check that your fsb settings is set correctly in the bios as well as on the m/board.Check that your ratio and clock multiplier is set to the specified settings of your m/boards book.Usually if these settings are increased remember it automatically increases your ram fsb speed, graphics card etc proportionally..the default settings might be worth a try.

oh, another thing..check the m/board and cpu temp in the bios,as well as your cpu overheating protection facility.Must be enabled and set to what your book for the m/board says..you might also want to check the cpu core voltages in the bios to see if they correspond to the manufacturers specifications.

they are all the most important ones before doing anything else i think..good luck and hope it helps
    cheers
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

I'll give these a try and let you all know how it goes. Thank you all for your suggestion, solutions, and all around good help! Wish me luck!

TheRouter
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

According to all of my settings. I do not believe that the thing is over-heating.....HOWEVER, it will freeze in the bios. What can cause this? When you turn the PC on, it will run fine a for a little while and then it will start to act up. But for now my main issue is as to why it freezes in the bios.

If any of you marvalous gurus here have any suggestions they are more than welcome! Thanks in advance for the assistance, dont know what i would do without this community.

TheRouter

AOs Resident Troll
    Hardware issue..either overheating, misconfigured BIOS...or board issue...(fried)

Definately not related to XP SP2

MLF

Hmmm,

What is the last thing it is doing before it freezes? There should be a white message on a black background. Go into the BIOS and disable "fast boot mode"

Does it freeze at the same point?

You might go into the BIOS and set it to "failsafe" mode, and see if that helps. It may be called something different, but you should have an option for reliability against performance?

I am assuming that nothing is overclocked?

You might also try the prompt/step by step boot, and see if that makes a difference.............it should show you what stage it is freezing at

I would also suggest looking for any updated video and sound drivers.