Thread: Public Proxies

Public Proxies

Hello all out there. I would like to have a definitive answer to this question. Please dont think I am into anything shady.

As I am a home PC user, I never had the chance to experience networking stuff hands-on.

I have found a list of public proxies in my country. What do I have to do in order to get connected to them?

I have a proxy software.If I supply the IP address and port in the HTTP proxy option, will it do or I have to make a seperate rule for the tunnel protocol?

I have also seen a proxy setting in FireFox. If I simply give the server address there, will it do?

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    It would be of great help to us if you told us why you think you need a proxy? Maybe there is anothe solution to your problem? What is the problem?

To use a proxy, just simply put the proxy server and the port into your web browser settings under proxy settings.
    In firefox, click on EDIT - PREFERENCES - GENERAL - CONNECTION SETTINGS - MANUAL PROXY CONFIGURATION and in the fields below enter the proxy adress and the port that is uses. But as i said above, whats the purpose?

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

I am constantly being accessed from an IP address. I want to hide.

And believe me, these are transparent proxy servers.

Pls see this second screenshot of the software.

Hmmm,

I am constantly being accessed from an IP address. I want to hide.
    Perhaps you need a tinfoil hat and a deep bunker?

Seriously though, isn't it too late. You connect to the net via your ISP, you then connect to the proxy through them. when you then connect beyond that, the next ISP sees the proxy, not your ISP. All well and good.

You are not very clear about your problem, or your intentions, so it is difficult to give you a definitive answer.

1. How are you being accesssed? (how do you know?)
    2. What are you doing when this happens?
    3. Do you have a static IP address? (check it, don't believe what your ISP tells you)

You see if the attacker knows your IP address, then whenever you log into your ISP you will be vulnerable, and a proxy is a waste of time. They are designed to hide you going out, not from stuff coming in.

I would suggest that you look at your firewall/router and block the attacking IP address........if it is dynamic you may have to block a range.

Also, it is impossible to tell from the information you have given us whether this is a real attack or just some infected machine on your ISP's sub-net.

Just a few thoughts..................

Hmm, hiding is not a good idea, especially since there is no way to really 'hide' yourself. I recomend you learn a thing or two about your system, and tighten it. Then there should be no need to hide yourself.

There are 2 ways to go... one is to think that you can hide yourself, which would give you a false sense of security, and the other way is to stop hiding, and face the internet for what it is.

Please, dont start with the 'anonymous' crap. No such thing.

Cheers.

1. How are you being accesssed? (how do you know?)
    I have a firewall. It alerts me whenever an IP like 61.2.228.xx tries to access my SMTP,POP3 and Back Orifice Port. Next time I will save the log and show.

2. What are you doing when this happens?
    Nothing

3. Do you have a static IP address? (check it, don't believe what your ISP tells you)
    No.

P.S. It was a BHO. However I dont think there is any wrong in using proxies. If you dont want to help me, I shall try it on my on and let you people know.

Originally posted here by instronics
    Hmm, hiding is not a good idea, especially since there is no way to really 'hide' yourself.

There are 2 ways to go... one is to think that you can hide yourself, which would give you a false sense of security, and the other way is to stop hiding, and face the internet for what it is.

Please, dont start with the 'anonymous' crap. No such thing.

The statement above is incorrect. There are several ways to "really" hide "yourself", and it's quite common to do so.

My apologies, I agree with you... but then again it depends how hard, and who wants to find you....

Given the proper resources and authorities, i would say that you could almost track down any source. Ofcourse im not talking about internet cafes, or some place where the user might be hiding, but rather the original source IP.

Ofcourse the source ip may not return the users name or adress, but the ip where whatever it is your hiding has originated from can be tracked down.

Comments?
    Cheers.

Hi Pi><boy

Thankyou for the answers. It sounds to me as if you are not being personally targetted, as I get a lot of similar traffic myself...............we all do...............it is from bots, worms and whatever scanning IP blocks. This is nothing for you to personally worry about

I have two more questions:

1. Is it always from EXACTLY the same IP address?
    2. Is that the same ISP range as your own?

Also, it seems that you are talking about attempted connections, rather than actual ones?........if so there is even less to worry about as it shows that your firewall is working

Cheers

1. Is it always from EXACTLY the same IP address?
    Yes.

2. Is that the same ISP range as your own?
    Doesnt seem so. My ISP range is 61.2.163.xxx