Thread: Adding Win2K3 to 2K Domain in Mixed Mode?

Adding Win2K3 to 2K Domain in Mixed Mode?

What would happen if you add a Windows 2003 server as a "domain controller" to a Windows 2000 domain in mixed mode?

Would that upgrade Active Directory? Would the 2003 server become the master?

Or, is Active Directory in 2003 the same as it is in 2000?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You can introduce a W2K3 Domain controller in mixed mode only you wont get the full functionality that a 2003 domain offers. There are some nice security features in a true native move 2003 AD environment.

A really good write-up on how to deal with this situation can be found here.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-622...387258-1.html#

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks for the link. I'm printing it now for the "reading room".

My last NT4 box is being replaced by this 2k3 box... so I'll be able to take it out of mixed mode.
    That site is finally due for demolition... and the new site is almost complete. Just a couple of minor things to take care of. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't cause any problems if I add a 2k3 box to a domain that is primarily 2k boxes.

Thanks again.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I have notived a little weirdness if you happen to edit group policies on the w2k box, but other than that it seems to work alright, Im upgrading my last w2k server over memorial day. Nothing like working to celebrate.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.