Disabling Microsoft help

Thread: Disabling Microsoft help

Disabling Microsoft help

Does anyone know of a way to disable access to Microsoft help? I am trying to build a secure system and I know that it can be used to access control panels that have been disabled in some other way. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Disabling Microsoft help

Originally posted here by black_coder
    I know that it can be used to access control panels that have been disabled in some other way.
    VERY WRONG!
    Even if a user gained access to the control panel, the user won't be having sufficient privileges to manipulate system configuration ... {assuming that you assigned usual restricted user account..}

Are you trying to build your own secured system .... like letting someone work under admin account , but yet not able to gain access to admin tools ....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Well, I am not sure what operating system you are using but you used to be able to rename or delete the help folder. Otherwise you can remove or rename the .hlp files.

It used to be fairly common back in the days of small hard drives, if you knew your OS and Apps.

What I am talking about is even when I have disabled the control panel through the registry, I can still get into some of the panels, such as services, and edit the properties, even without an admin account.

You could change permssions/remove the file asscociation type for .chm's in HKCR.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Thanks everyone, I just couldn't seem to get my mind around this one. Again, thanks for all of your help. You guys are great!